My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Hospital Trip...

The treatment that has been keeping my condition controlled to some extent and stabilised may not be working and I may have to go back on a stronger dosage but that has dangers and if the treatment isn't working, is it worth increasing the dosage or continuing at all but the alternative scenario isn't great. It was said that we may have to have a big discussion...the treatment can be worse than the condition...

Not much point going into great detail as that may happen at a future time and I have mentioned my situation a few times in earlier blog entries.

Of course for now I have to remain hopeful and positive. I find it difficult to think that I am talking about myself. You feel as though you are talking about someone else.

I wonder if I should be looking into alternative medicines...

Well I did a search...not an extensive one and there must be lots of information out there(some that is more reliable than others)but you know from previous posts that I eat the best variety of food possible(that income allows)also for goodness and quality.

I was told that my condition was caused by my blood becoming thick and sticky and damaging the fine filters in my kidney that clean the blood. And that they are inflamed and that is why I am on steroids amongst other drugs.

I have been told that my diet has nothing to do with it but amongst the many books I have about what is good/bad in various types of food and for certain ailments I looked into alternative medicines for kidney disease and though I might not follow all ideas, the following seems like common sense and would be good even if you are fit and well.

Perhaps I have let things go by a little not eating some items as often as I once did and think that I may eat more of the following, I have everything to gain and nothing to lose...If it works...great, if not it may slow things down.

Common Diseases of the Kidney
Diabetes, lupus, hypertension, liver disease, brights disease, glomerulonephritis

Dietary Changes for Kidney Disease
Eat More:
Raw foods, garlic, potatoes, asparagus, parsley, watercress, celery, cucumbers, papaya, bananas, watermelon, pumpkin, sprouts, legumes, seeds, soybeans, spirulina, acidophilus, Lecithin

Eat Less:
Potassium, phosphates, beet greens, meat, spinach, rhubarb, swiss chard

Do Not Eat:
Chocolate, cocoa, eggs, dairy
Drink clean water (6-8 glass’s per day), eat smaller portions of meat, do small mild cleanses

Alternative Treatments for Kidney Disease
Nutrients for Kidney Disease
Calcium – helps body use all minerals in synergy
Magnesium – see calcium
L – Arginine – aids kidneys
L-Methionine – helps circulation within kidneys
Multi-enzyme complex – aids digestion
Potassium – stimulates kidney function
Vitamins for Kidney Disease
Vitamin A – helps healing process of urinary tract lining
Vitamin B complex – helps fluid metabolism
Vitamin C – boosts immunity and elevates urine acidity
Vitamin E – elevates immune system
Zinc – immunostimulant

Herbs for Kidney Disease
Buchu Tea
Dandelion Root (pu gong ying) – aids kidney excretion function of waste
Cranberry – acidifies urine and kills bacteria
Celery and Parsley – diuretic (decreases uric acid)
Hydrangea – natural diuretic – cleanses urinary tract
Uva Ursi – natural diuretic – cleanses urinary tract – germicidal
Marshmallow Tea – cleanses kidneys
Goldenrod tea, juniper berries, stinging nettle, parsley, red clover, watermelon seed tea are all good for kidney disease.

Kidney Disease Alternative Treatments

4 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Seems some contradiction between thoughts and dieatry regimes there Gildy. Potassium seems a sticking point. i.e.

Eat More: ...some high in potassium
Eat Less:...Potassium

Nutrients for Kidney Disease:
Potassium – stimulates kidney function

1 May 2009 at 23:42  
Blogger Span Ows said...

P.S. Please do remain hopeful and positive.

Spirulina is dsigusting...must be good for you!

1 May 2009 at 23:44  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks Span I appreciate your good wishes,

You are correct about the Potassium. It is mentioned quite a lot when you look into diets regarding such an illness.

My consultant and Dr's on his team say enjoy your diet and don't change anything...that appears to be the thinking in this field of medicine but depending on what you have or what stage you are some patients are told to avoid certain items...When I was in hospital ten years ago one man had to boil potatoes two or three times to drain off a certain chemical, I don't know what goodness was in the poatatoes after doing that but it meant that he was able to eat them.

Looking at this list of foods and vitamins, I probably already get quite a lot of what I should so it may not change things but lets go for it.

Anyone else I suppose I should say check with your Dr first. What may be right for one person may not be for someone else.

My attitude is at present quite positive and strong.

Yes, why do many things that are good for us taste disgusting LOL

I'm not even sure that I know what spirulina is...I can see a search coming on...

2 May 2009 at 01:52  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

With North Star's help and a search on the web I know what these things are.

I still feel reasonably upbeat but I am thinking more about what may happen and wondering if I can delay or halt matters so I will be wondering what I face when I have my next hospital appointment and I am also thinking what is happening when I eat.

It is out of my hands.

It appears 60% get better or stay as they are, 20% need treatment to control the condition and 20% are unlucky.

And it is more common than many realise.

3 May 2009 at 12:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home