My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Now Wash Your Hands...

Well perhaps, I am coming to this late...maybe because of trying to save money or just because good old soap and water has been perfectly OK.

Anyhow, with all the talk of Swine Flu and the washing of hands I had heard so much talk of anti-bacterial or alcohol based cleaning products and how important it is to wash your hands frequently I had heard how some items were selling well or out of stock. It's true...

For all that I found some antibacterial hand wash for sensitive skin...Mum loves it and I'm quite a fan now. You only need approx an amount about the size of a pea and you can wash all of your hands thoroughly. It is soap free too.

I also found some wipes so if you are outdoors and not anywhere near water you can clean up and finally some very small containers of a similar gel substance that again you can clean up easily with and you do not need to be near any water.

No, I am not over the top and become obsessed with keeping clean but when you think of all the things we touch especially in somewhere like a supermarket, it's quite a handy thing(no pun intended)to hopefully have some protection against germs...and having read the leaflet that was sent out by our Governement about how to reduce the risk of catching Swine Flu I found nothing much that I did not already know by common sense and what I have heard on tv, radio or in the press. Some manufacturer's that are based on the killing of germs etc...have been able to run advertising campaigns and features whilst promoting their products and have given as much information at no cost to the Government.

So this is my latest discovery regarding my shopping trips...

What I have been using at present...There are other companies with a similar range of products which I may try...

Carex Products 1
Carex Products 2
Carex Products 3
Washing Advice
Advice regarding hygene and Swine Flu
Some reviews of the products

Cuticura

6 Comments:

Anonymous Northstar said...

Gildy, I have a bottle of that hand sanitizer in my car, another bottle on my desk at work, and my office has bottles near all the printers and copiers. Just last week, my office purchased hand sanitizer towels that can be used to wipe down surfaces.

One very important thing to keep in mind: the alcohol content must be at least 60% in order for the gel to be effective. Less than that is actually worse than not using the sanitizer at all because studies have shown that the germs are merely pushed around your hand, and they then incubate faster than normal.

Another thing: hand sanitizers are ineffective with hands that are dirty, greasy, bloody, etc.

Final point: the sanitizers are most effective if you use enough gel that your hands stay wet for at least ten seconds. So...you may need to use a bit more of it.

It's fantastic stuff!

For more information:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/21/health/21cons.html

13 May 2009 at 01:20  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks for that North Star...I'll look into this further and by that the products I have bought already...

It's a start and at least the bottles of gel that work with water do shift the dirt. The wipes/and bottles of gel that can be/claim to work without water may be a different matter. I'll take a look at the ingredients especially to see if they have alcohol base.

They are all antibacterial.

There are many on the shelves of the shops and drugs stores I have seen in recent days but equally some are missing because the public has gone crazy and cleared out stocks probably due to the publicity regarding the flu and then the fact that people use these products for baby care...

13 May 2009 at 07:49  
Anonymous Northstar said...

Gildy, the back of the bottle or package should list the alcohol content. For example, the bottle of hand sanitizer gel on my work desk says, "Active ingredient: ethyl alcohol 62%".

But maybe UK products are packaged differently than they are over here.

13 May 2009 at 12:33  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I have gone through the ingredients of the products and cannot see any reference to alcohol but maybe over here they have a different name and I cannot see a percentage on the lables either so I may have to look up each ingredient on the web and see what each actually does.

13 May 2009 at 20:20  
Blogger Span Ows said...

I use Eudermin, not sure if i's available in the UK but I'm sure there is something similar. A hand cream but also antibacterial and hydrating!..but watch out if you have cuts or split skin!

13 May 2009 at 21:13  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I went through many of the ingredients on the bottle of the one's I use and none seem to have alcohol in them...and if you believe some of the environmental sites on the net you'd worry, some ingredients had some frightening side effects regarding being harmful to your health but I sometimes think they are over cautious and you'd have to be using very very large amounts.

And I have now found a spray that is 65% alcohol based that has upto 100 sprays in each container(about the size of a large pencil)no need for water or towels and a gel with another type of alcohol in it. Both cost less than £1 each.

21 May 2009 at 00:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home