My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

What A Day...

Up and about already...eaten Breakfast, shaved and...oh yes...rearranged my hernia.

Back to bed for a couple of hours to rest before attending the Hospital for an update and hope other matters are improving...

I think the steroids are continuing to affect my appearance now, that and the illness anyhow such as my face becoming larger and moon like and oh, yes, puffy bags under the eyes. But I'll not be going under the knife to have them fixed. Rightly or wrongly I remember a story in the newspapers from decades ago involving Billy Smart Jr. who ran the successful Smarts Circus across the UK and Europe having an operation to remove eye bags(that's what was reported)and the operation went wrong and he lost the sight in one eye. I get more than a bit squeamish if anything involves messing around with the eyes.

Even, if at a future date I see to my other problem. I'll wear dark glasses and swan around like a celebrity :-)

Back to give the news, good or bad later(I hope that the news will be that treatment continues to sustain matters)and time wise, that's a long way down the line.

Update:Back from the Hospital... Hernia took some fixing(rolling around on the floor of the disabled toilet to get things back where they should be)

OK for now...I may have a hopeful solution for this... I've been told to take two water tablets together each morning so if that means I get rid of the excess fluid quickly, the pressure will be reduced(and just maybe this will improve)I haven't mentioned this to any medical staff as yet as I am waiting to see if this idea stops the problem.

Then maybe I could live with it or it may improve.

I was told not to read anything into the colour of the blood. It could be the medication.

The treatment is still working. I have to return in a fortnight where they'll decide whether I should start to reduce the steroids or continue taking the same amount. Blood pressure was fine. So all in all better than expected.

I mentioned the high cholesterol reading when at the hospital and was told they'll worry about that if it remains after a year or so but as it could be related to the medicine and current problems I was told not to worry and that I should, seeing I have not had any heart problems forget about it for now and ignore the likelihood that I am going to have a heart attack.

If it was to continue they'll give me tablets... Well as my heart and arteries are sound I don't want to find that becoming a problem.

Speaking of which I collected my prescription and getting home discovered that they've only given me enough steroids to last me about 8 days so I've had to order extra but luckily they've allowed my request by phone which they normally refuse to do)They have me only taking 10mg daily(and I am taking 60mg) But it means another trip to the shops and a taxi fare I could've avoided...good job I checked otherwise I'd have found myself suddenly caught short.

Once again, though the Consultant advises whom I see and they discuss matters between them, again, he did not come in to talk to me and left it to his registrar to deal with my treatment. It seems a new idea now that his appointments are shared with others form his department that he works with rather than him doing every appointment. So maybe its a way of seeing more patients or sharing out the work load. He does seem happy with my continued progress though.

So unless something unexpected happens, my plan is to have lots of lazy days and down time dozing or whatever. And hopefully stop going on about my woes. The next appointment is officially on April 10th where a decision may be made to try and reduce the amount of steroids I take daily but that has to be done gradually, if at all.

4 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Good luck, fingers crossed for later.

You won't be impressed by the images that keep forming when you say your appearance is cahnging etc/hernia adjustment and othe things you've mentioned ove rthe weeks...I'm sure you're not a cross between Mr. Hyde and The Elephant Man but I'm afraid this is what my active imagination seems to come up with....where did you get those Victorian clothes and the top hat? ;-)

27 March 2008 at 11:24  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Span,
Mum says that this time around I have not increased in size facewise but I think I can see subtle changes and wonder if it could still happen. First time around it really was bad, this time I think I have been more tolerant to the drugs.

I am fortunate in that once again I seem to have responded. I have read of people much younger than me who have found the drugs for them have failed.

I consider myself fortunate.

I may follow the suggestion regarding the two water tablets together in the morning and the fact they stay in the system for 6 hours but I still in my mind think...if I take one inthe morning and one later in the day that means they'll work for double that time.

I also may still prop myself up through the night as that will allow me to lose liquid naturally and get a head start before the day begins.

I think you work out what's right for your own situation.

I wonder what I may find to blog about as a change of subject for the coming weeks?

I am amazed how honest I have been regarding talking of illness.

Considering that I just get on with it away from here.

28 March 2008 at 04:18  
Blogger Span Ows said...

I think blogging it is a kind of release, makes you not too bothered 'away' from here about thinking you have to explain yourself to all and sundry. Almost liek you're telling "Dear Diary" that is kept secret from the 'real world'.

28 March 2008 at 09:00  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Think you're right...I complained about the hiccup regarding the prescriptions being short on here but they're pretty good at my surgery...they've made up the shortfall(by phone)not something they would usually so I'll pick that up tomorrow.

And they've already booked me in for my blood tests and are arranging the paperwork so I can avoid going in un-necessarily.

We're on first name terms too. So thankfully really problems are rare.

Maybe its too easy too complain sometimes...

If/when I decide that I may have to have the operation I may change my mind if I am on a waiting list. Money is tight and I'm reluctant to use savings but I may go private(if I can afford to)just to quicken things along.

One time where a private health scheme is handy but the condition I have might affect my suitablity for the operation hence I'd like that sorted out first.

28 March 2008 at 09:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home