My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Government Spin May Affect The Vulnerable...

Hopefully progress continues(and of course I'd rather be fit and well and capable of a long life)but the condition is chronic and obviously work is likely to be affected.
I mean, if I am having to lie down and drain water retention off which takes hours. What am I going to do?

I just have to stand too long/sit too long and water collects.

I have talked with some people with similar problems that suggest reduced kidney function so all the time you are attempting to avoid further deterioration.

So our new Government Minister in his budget announces that all long term sick and vulnerable claimants will have to attend some kind of assessment to get them into work.

Of course in an ideal world mental and physical fulfillment is important but as many charities who deal with those who are sick are afraid that as many private companies are being brought in and Government appointed medical staff to oversee these schemes many genuine cases will be mishandled and people will see themselves suffering with stress and entitlements reduced/removed altogether. The problem being that those who really know their patients will be ignored.

You would think that an expert Consultant and your own Dr to be far more believe able than someone who you are ordered to see.

But this is all in the future(timescale of 18-24 months)I understand that the year 2010 has been flagged up. As for myself, I will worry about that as and when I am called up and the details are known in greater detail. And whether some appointed official with some procedure tells me I am fit, if I feel otherwise I am not going to knock myself up just so I tick boxes to gain a company or official a bonus. I get one chance of survival and have to do what is right for me.

Charities and volunteer organisations that watch out for the disadvantaged are unhappy with the proposals and I am more likely to believe what they say. But all the major political parties have similar ideas and plans and are singing from the same hymn sheet so what these pressure groups can do may be limited. It's not helped by some of the biased and poorly orchestrated campaigns that are broadcast on radio and tv or in the press. Often in ignorance of what it is like for many having problems. Usually, because everyone can sight an anecdotal instance where someone has fiddled the system.

How am I?

Well, again, I cannot say, that depends on whether the treatment continues to work, side effects of what is a strong drug regime and other variables.

The other night I found(though I had spent ages propped up)I actually was able to take in more liquid than previously and reduce my oedema.

Tonight, the opposite being true. The legs/feet really were bloated. It only took a short time of sitting or standing so again, what can you do if most jobs require standing/sitting? After all, retention of water adds to weight and blood pressure.

Too many of these schemes and ideas are thought up by people who have absolutely no knowledge of illness and the situation that many who live such lives and in many cases everything has gone smoothly for them. I've been checked on and monitored for ten years to date. Does all of this not account for anything? All the information is there for them to access as you have to give Government bodies access to your medical records and Dr's.

Even, if treatment works, with the amount of damage the drugs can cause in other ways, they can create problems. Over time you have to be reduced or removed from treatment and cannot just come off the treatment immediately. It has to happen gradually and you may have to go back onto it again(assuming it works)

It is also keeping me indoors for most of the time...physically I have to restrict how much I do mobility wise but I could imagine someone saying, if you can go out and do some tasks you are well enough to do much more but more than ever it's important to say that no one population wise really knows by looking at someone how ill they are, only the person concerned and the medical people who deal with them.

I have one further development I could've done without that may or may not require surgery, it appears that I have managed to acquire a hernia. For now, I have not seen about it or mentioned it to my Dr as it has just happened and to be honest I am more concerned with trying to improve the original condition which I see as more life threatening and important for my well being.

A couple of extra effects from the treatment are little spots in the mouth and some of my food tastes strange.

Update:It could be the drugs or an imbalance of chemicals in the body but I have once again(as happened years ago)found that one of my hands attempts to close, the nearest that I can describe it to being is cramp like and when it decides to do it, the only relief that seems to work is to get the hand into a sink of hot water for a minute or two. Years ago on a forum a consultant suggested that chemicals in the body were probably out of balance. As long as the water trick works, I can go with this symptom.

The water retention is still a problem especially if I stand or sit for not a very long time as gravity takes it into the ankles and feet in particular so sitting here on my nice new chair though better for my computer work, I only use it for a short amount of time because I know what is going to happen. So it's back to bed and propping the old legs up again. That does at least get rid of the excess fluid but obviously like filtering water you are waiting for the liquid to work it's way through the skin tissue so you can "wee" it away.


Lips are a bit sore, tongue feels a bit tingly depending on the food or drink taken and sometimes the throat can feel a bit sore/voice gets a bit weak. All this varies from day to day.

Still, 23 days of treatment under my belt and we'll see how things go...Easter break has meant that my next blood test at the Dr's surgery is delayed by a day but results will hopefully be ready for the Consultant a couple of days later, it's handy as I go into the appointment with results rather than having to do so after seeing the Consultant but I cannot take the test any earlier as he likes the readings as close to the day I see him which is approx 14 days away.

Fingers and toes are crossed.

6 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Our fingers and toes are crossed too Gildy, howver don't cross yours too hard if what little activity you're managing gives you a hernia!

Happy Easter!

16 March 2008 at 20:59  
Blogger Curmy said...

My fingers and toes are crossed as well Gildy ! I'm sure the Consultant will be pleased with you.

16 March 2008 at 22:56  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks Guys :-)

The spin continues today with more reports official and otherwise about the cost of those who are ill or out to work which are not necessarily the same thing but when lumped together it sounds as though they are...

Said in the same breath and it adds to the population's ignorance and hatred of who they see as fiddler's of the system.

The stories have these sections of society costing as much to the economy as running the National Health Service each year...

Most are not ill by choice the idea of the health service in it's purest form was that it's there to help the vulnerable and keep us fit but be there to care for those who need it.

And if you are receiving treatment and care you are the very people it was intended for.

I also appreciate some conditions can mean that you work but that it is why you have your own Dr and depend in many instances on an expert Consultant to decide that you are ill and to support you as a patient.

Such a report or news story tends to suggest that everyone gets lumped together and makes the genuine sick to some look guilty for being so. And that again just adds to the stress and worry for many.

I see today the example being given as being a condition you can work with or through the pain barrier is the old favourite that is always sighted as being a lie is the old bad back which is an easy one to pick on. I know from visits to hospital there are so many people suffering with many, many conditions.

And as I have said before just looking at people in the street does not show what's really going on in the lives of many.

17 March 2008 at 09:06  
Blogger Curmy said...

Gildy I do hope you realise my comment on the Radio 5 news board isn't aimed at people like you who are genuinely ill.
Hugs

17 March 2008 at 09:54  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Of course I do...Maybe I'm saying too much about this on here but I think it ties in with a worrying trend politically.

And also a less caring aspect of society to look after the vulnerable and I think the media are as much to blame as anyone for driving the agenda.

I've just heard a half hour devoted to the new report on Radio 5 and it was slanted a particular way and the same kind of experts, political guests and a maverick employer was brought on to the programme and spin was put on the
story.

I dislike the way new procedures take away the involvement of those who really know the patient and use appointed companies and bodies brought in which will have ulteria motives for their involvement and see them getting bonuses so putting profit over care.

To get help now, you jump through a lot of hoops and it is not easy to get any help, you really have to fight your corner and supply any detailed information asked for. And attend examinations already.

It's a different situation but you can remember all the forms you had to fill in regarding getting help for your Mum.

17 March 2008 at 14:20  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Here's an article connected to the report.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/mar/17/socialexclusion.nhs
I might conceed if someone becomes ill you try to prevent rather than deal with a problem afterwards but again this idea lumps the vulnerable and long term sick as shirkers.

I quote from the article below...

"The work and pensions secretary, James Purnell, said: "Today's report marks a radical shift in our approach to dealing with health in the workplace, focusing on prevention rather than cure."

The health secretary, Alan Johnson, said: "Unemployment is progressively damaging, leading to more sickness, mental illness, disability, increased use of medication, higher hospital admission rates and shorter life expectancy. Suicide rates are 35 times higher among the long-term unemployed than among those in employment."

Increased medication may be what is helping keep someone alive so to dismiss use of medication as always a bad thing is wrong. No one takes medication just for the sake of it.

Often it is hard to persuade a patient to actually take drugs and many will not complete the course which can cause problems within themselves.


The reporet suggests that

"Working for a Healthier Tomorrow said the employment rate of people with a health condition was increasing, but around 7% of the working population were on incapacity benefits and an additional 3% were off sick."

To me that is actually a smaller amount than I would've thought but if its increasing that means that conditions are being picked up quicker and were missed in the past. It also proves that most cases are genuine.

17 March 2008 at 15:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home