My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, March 28, 2008

I've All But Resigned Myself To Have The Operation...

took the plunge and looked up what it entails...Yuk!

Relatively simple it appears(if you have nothing else wrong with you)and it's said that 100,000 people have such an operation every year in the UK and it's such a common procedure. And rarely, comes back once fixed. So at least it's successful.

It would appear the average waiting list on our National Health Service is 26 weeks or I can go private and it looks as though we're talking of a price tag of around £4,000 and I assume it can be done much quicker. This option would mean going to a hospital out of the area. I assume if I use the NHS it will be more local.

It appears they try to get you home as quick as possible after the operation and as long as you don't live alone you can be home the same day all being well.

I could put off but the article on the NHS website says that once you have a hernia, they get worse so are best dealt with as soon as possible. They also warn against them turning into strangulated hernia's which can result in having a bad time or the need of emergency surgery. Thankfully, most of the time its not been painful but when it is it's just like someone getting what feels like a red hot poker and putting it into your groin and there is no way you can ignore the pain.

Fortunately, if that happens so far I can by laying on the bed move it into a comfortable position again(so far)often by moving my leg around but I assume that pain is the start of what could be a strangulated hernia if left unattended. And given the choice of letting things deteriorate or messing about for years I'd rather be put right whilst I am still reasonably young.

But you don't know until it decides it's going to move suddenly how it will be. If it stays put...great, if it moves how much of a nuisance it will be and what may trigger it off. It could be be simply leaning forward. I'm working on the trying to avoid provoking it suddenly happening by avoiding adding weight, eating smaller portions and trying to keep water retention down to ease pressure in that area.

As for laying on my bed and taking it easy, I have no problem with that.

I'm probably more concerned about whether I'll be offered keyhole surgery which is said to have less pain and fewer scars and whether I am likely to catch a Hospital infection. As to whether I am offered keyhole it appears to depend on whether the Consultant chosen has operated using the procedure for a limited quota of 20 times. If I have read the information correctly it seems that these operations take around 50 minutes on average and in many cases they are done under local anaesthetic rather than general so maybe that will take some of the strain off the system regarding my other condition and may be safer.

Just have to decide when to go and see my Dr and start the ball rolling...It's just a bit annoying that when you've had other health issues this has to happen on top of it all.

5 Comments:

Blogger Curmy said...

Try not to worry too much Gildy, my Dad has his done under local with sedation when he was in his late 70's, and he was fine.

29 March 2008 at 00:24  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

If I delay and avoid seeing my Dr(I think Mum is going to mention it to him)So I may not have much of an option. :-)

It does seem local is the main way forward so it's not the worst operation in the world. As DQ said elsewhere, Ken Dodd survived his op recently and he's in his 80's...

Remarkably, I don't feel too nervous about it, more annoied than anything else.

I'm still amazed that I am writing about it on here.

29 March 2008 at 00:58  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Get it done Gildy, they never get better on their own...they either 'remain' or get worse. Two of my littl'uns have had ops, Katie had a double hernia (on top of everything else!! - poor little monkey). 6 months doesn't sound tooooooooooooooooooo bad - October ish...October Operation...sounds liek a good post title for me...perhaps get it videoed Gildy then put it online!

29 March 2008 at 12:41  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

If I don't Mum will push me ;-)

She's all for using her savings and going private.

Its not as if I go around showing my body beautiful. I guess it means I'll have to have a...shave.

There's a thought putting the video on line...it was bad enough channel surfing the other night and finding someone having his naughty bits operated on, I couldn't stay and watch.

You know the hernia operation if performed under local is not unlike going in for a vasectomy(though I don't want that doing)and at least if I'm awake I can see they don't make any mistakes. Will I watch whats happening, no my eyes will be firmly closed.

Happy to hear your youngsters came through their operations ok.

29 March 2008 at 14:58  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks to the Kidney Forum a member has suggested though Private care speeds up the procedure and gets it over and done with...the NHS is the better option because you have the back up of all the experts in Kidney care in case things go wrong and or something unexpected happens which may be lacking in private care.

The same person mentions that he was advised to go on the NHS via a consultant who could've taken the money and done the operation.

The bad news being that to have "His" operation various treatments that were offered to control a kidney problem had to be withdrawn during the period of the operation and that had complications because medication was stopped. So though a hernia operation may be different and each peson's circumstances will be just maybe I am best trying to manage with the hernia and allow the fact that I am improving in other ways.

And wait until I have no choice which may mean I am stronger, that's if I have the choice. Of course local as opposed to general could make a difference.

30 March 2008 at 18:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home