My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, October 19, 2015

The Sunday Trip Went A Little Awry...

It started well...but I missed the bus by seconds because I bumped into someone on the way to the stop and I couldn't get away. I thought I'd be clever and take a detour so I caught a bus with the intention of connecting to another there.

But its Sunday...I found my connection was not due for...fifty minutes so on a fairly miserable day weather wise I had to sit on a bench outdoors.

I knew when I reached Durham if I missed a bus at least there is a bus station. I had a twenty minute wait but that Sunday service still runs every 10-15 minutes.

I arrived at the Angel Of The North approx 75 minutes later than planned. It was still ample time to see it. Not very well planned though, there is a little car park near the sculpture and fortunately the bus goes past the monument so if you do not have a car you can actually get out and see it. The particular bus I used is specially covered in designs on the bodywork and windows connected to the statue. And a lime green colour. I will post some images later.

The bad news? I notice this more perhaps having mobility issues, the stops could not be further from the statue. Therefore you have to walk a bit. That would be true of anyone. But I can say that I have seen it! Its been there for 17 years. I think I stayed for approx 20 minutes and watching others that looks to be the average stay of visitors.

Getting around Durham most buses seemed to have reverted to an hourly service. That would be OK except most appear to arrive too late to connect to the next so there is a lot of "hanging around" If they would reduce the service but perhaps run every 30 minutes that would make a difference.

An example? I managed to get my tickets for the Lumiere*(there was actually a queue)but to get a bus from the bus station to the theatre would've meant waiting 40 minutes. So I took my time walking it. Coming back to the bus station would've meant another wait and it was not due until 15.31 but my bus home leaves at...15.31! So you either try to get to the station on foot(I did manage with minutes to spare)or wait at the stop and then sit in the bus station(again)for another hour.

Perhaps that's OK when the weather is better, everywhere is open or there is an event happening and you take time. Perhaps making a day of it.

When I reached home the weather had turned a little and there was a chill in the air, the wind was increasing and I was glad of my hat and gloves. It changed so quickly.

At home I rested for three hours. I was so cosy and pleasantly tired I actually would've been happy to carry on sleeping but the bingo was on. Our group numbers were down(one was unable to join us as she was visiting her husband in hospital)and another was ill(she had been not so good earlier in the week)so we were down to three. I didn't have a win but one of us did win a house.

Today, I think I will make another stew in a slow cooker, they are tasty, comforting, warm and good for you. I have nice vegetables, good quality meat(I don't eat large amounts of meat)and as you are using the liquid they are cooked in, any lost vitamins/minerals are in the water. I am thinking of adding some sliced mushrooms this time. I couldn't find my can opener and though many cans these days can be opened without sometimes that is not the case. I have a couple somewhere in the house but not sure where they've disappeared to. If they turn up I can use them again.

I may bother with breakfast later(cereal and fruit)I have a new All Bran Muesli to try and I'll grab a salad and chicken sandwich for lunch. I'll leave the stew on over the afternoon and have that for an evening meal. If I'd made more I could've put some in the fridge or freezer and then just warm it another day but I'm using my small cooker and this kind of meal I find I can eat all of it.

If the weather stays reasonable and now with the dark nights finally here(as I hear it could change by the end of the week)I may try and see the illuminations near Sunderland on Wednesday as I have nothing planned. Friday is another option.

Shopping wise though I can make my own being single sometimes its as easy to buy and I can get a nice soft Farmhouse Loaf for around £1 so on the way to the bingo this afternoon that is probably all I will buy today.

I don't do the lottery that often but I did try the past couple of draws because the prize money was good. I will have a go again this Wednesday but only as its a rollover and under the new rules as I have two matching numbers I am given a free go in the next draw.

*I wanted to attend on a weeknight but it clashes with another music event and a bingo night in November. Sunday the same and as the buses are not so good, I have a ticket for the Saturday night. You don't have to have a ticket but the idea is that they limit the numbers between 4.30pm-7.30pm to avoid over crowding. I hope the weather is kind even if we expect it to be crisp and clear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home