My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

A Reasonably Easy Day...

Spent the day(yesterday)picking at what would be seen as buffet food. Went out to do some business at the bank and to the afternoon bingo session. Won one house so broke even...cost me nothing but did not really win either. I won a cheapish prize in the raffle too. At least I was not out of pocket.

Been sleepy...been on the painkillers today and they seem to have helped and kicked in. Plans for Friday's night out have been thrown into confusion as we believed that we were contributing towards the cost of a lift to and from the concert but we only have a lift after the show and the taxi(one way even if shared)isn't cheap but we're working on an alternative plan...if it fails, well so be it. I will give a review/have some images I hope to put up here.

The train spotting may/may not happen this weekend. The company seems to have re-arranged the tour and times have not been posted yet.

Another event to do with changes to the National Health Service happens on Wednesday morning but for some reason its being held in a community centre in a village(even if its quite a large one)rather than in a big town which has a more regular bus service for those without access to a car. Also, a taxi would be expensive and if I was not fortunate to have a travel pass for now it would cost me at least £7+ to get there and back. 

I will still have to contribute to the cost of the journey because of the early start(I think a little later would have been better)not starting at 9.30am and to be there in comfortable time I will have to leave home no later than 7.20am and change buses enroute. I must be keen to be bothering.

I am ex directory phone wise and with few if any friends or family to phone me you'd think that I would receive few calls and really I don't, I tend to keep it on silent and if I find a number I do not recognise I won't phone back. I check where possible where the call comes from(not always easy when a number isn't left)but if they are not good enough to leave a number why should I want to call back anyhow?

I am signed up to a service that supposedly stops unsolicited calls. But many still manage to come through...I have had debt collectors, solar panel installers, legal companies offering help to get compensation for a variety of medical ailments but usually its someone selling something. We were always told to announce our numbers when answering the phone, now I rarely do that, if I do answer I wait to see who is calling and give no clues.

4 Comments:

Anonymous rm said...

I am also ex-directory and receive unsolicited calls. Infuriating if I am washing dishes and hastily dry my hands, only to be told about my car accident. I don't have a car.

Most of them don't have a number that one could call back; I believe that this is illegal.

13 May 2014 at 16:11  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

A rarity for me RM, the phone at present is not on silent. The new recorded message from me now says leave a name and number and I will endeavour to return it asap but I add if I do not know you or you are selling something that's not likely.

As I read your comment what happened? My first call of the day(late afternoon)still to check who it was but as it only rang four times I know what it will be.

13 May 2014 at 16:28  
Anonymous rm said...

I have family in Australia and the US. If I always called back, it would be a mite expensive. So I do have to answer the phone.

13 May 2014 at 19:39  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Just came across your post, there are occasions where you just have to answer.

Today, I was plagued by more calls from a place selling solar panels and other things to do with home insulation etc...but the automatic answer phone kicked in so I deleted messages left.

Then this afternoon I picked up and managed to speak to them and told them to stop calling and that I have asked them before. Lets see if they take notice.

30 May 2014 at 21:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home