My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

These Boots Were Made For Walking...

Even if my legs no longer are...

I discovered last night my trainers need replacing...the main parts of the shoes would last for ages but I have worn the heels down so much(heavy on them and probably at an uneven angle)so I shall have to part with money once more. I still may be able to use the older one's for quick trips to the shops nearby for a while longer.

The weather improved so I went out to the show at the local theatre in sunlight(there was a slight chill)but it was pleasant. There are still nice people I am finding  who are prepared to reach out. I found myself talking to a neighbour on the way to the bus stop. We are about the same age and have lived near each other for approx 5 decades and I have been told to pop in for a coffee.

A few streets away an elderly person looked as though she knew me and was stood at the door of her house(or wanted to)and so I said hello and stopped and had a quick chat(perhaps it cheered her up)and she wished me well and that I would enjoy the night. It is generally true that a smile and a kind word even with strangers is welcome.

I did not have to wait too long for a bus(even though the frequency drops after 6pm)and we have only have two services offering two routes and you need to be near them as they cut through the town via a limited centre based route. Another reason for me staying here if I am able.

I had approx 50 minutes before the concert when I arrived at my destination so was able to take my time. I got settled into my seat and the show started approx 8 minutes later. The theatre was less than half full sadly but we were entertained with approx fifty songs/instrumentals of recognised favourites and some newer tunes not associated with a "Big" band. Also some new inclusions of arrangements associated with Nelson Riddle and Billy May.

Chris Dean's Syd Lawrence Band performed for approx 130minutes. A band of seasoned musicians from many top positions in the music world, an example? Trevor Brown on keyboards who worked alongside Alan Ainsworth and was connected to the TV station that served London and the country in the past known as London Weekend and so took care of the music in the entertainment shows they produced that includes the Royal Variety Shows. However, there are also some young members in the band but they need to be good and they were. One was on trumpet and took solo's(he was 21 years old)another on trombone(he was 23)

They have a special weekend in June where they appear with other bands at a holiday resort)in June for approx 3 nights, its a five star resort with accommodation, includes four meals if you want them and other food, access to various facilities and entertainment every night. Price wise it is not bad, I was tempted but I have a ticket for a show locally that weekend so maybe I'll think about it for next year...

The audience was a little subdued but appreciative tonight and Chris had to work to get a response(not from me)and its funny when I saw the band in Durham last year we had a quick chat and tonight I was acknowledged. Whether, he can see that I really enjoy the shows and that attracts attention or I have one of those faces that is noticeable I don't know...I like Chris he has an open face and a smile to match. And enjoys the music, he directs, arranges the music, presents, plays trombone and sings pretty good too.

The band had 15 members tonight, I cannot remember if that was how many played Durham last year.

We got out around 10.05pm and some how, I managed to get to the bus stop in town with a minute to spare and legged it within nine minutes, how I have no idea, otherwise I would have had to wait thirty minutes for the next one. But I was almost home and in bed by the time I would have been boarding the next one.

A great night and one to remember...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home