My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, February 14, 2014

Everyone Has Sewing Kit...Right?

I suspect many of us probably have such a kit in an old box or tin and usually its untidy...I guess I'm no better. Well, it used to be in some kind of order and I am sure I have more than this but for various reasons this past year everything was misplaced.

Sewing Kit...

So do I have all that I need for most repairs? Have I enough colours? Am I missing something? What do you think? I can only think of a couple of items...buttons and that kind of tape that you iron and it bonds hems? I suspect I will never use more than a small amount of the above for the rest of my life.

i don't get that many clothes that wear out and when I am mainly buying from a charity shop often its easier/cheaper to replace an item. And many shops make things reasonably cheap or reduce items and though I appreciate beautifully made clothes its an expense that I am unable to justify.

3 Comments:

Blogger And said...

I would say to add to your kit a small pair of scissors, a needle threader, some buttons and some safety pins for emergency moments when a button goes.
I have various lengths of elastic and Velcro in mine as well but the threads are the items used most frequently.

I find that I don't use colours but I use invisible thread instead, the sort that looks like fine fishing line. You can buy clear and brown versions (upstairs in Boyes, usually). I also have some really thick strong thread and fine elastic thread.

There's no need to buy buttons, just snip them off a shirt when it reaches the end of its days.

My guess is that you are unlikely to use many of those colours, especially the brights and pastel shades, why not pop them in a bag along to the charity shop? :0)

18 February 2014 at 15:01  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

What a good idea...you can see that I do not do much sewing :-)

Also I like the idea of invisible thread(I'd never thought of that)

I've had those needle threaders in the past and could not understand them. What am I like?

I can quite understand the appeal of what we used to call a haberdashery(?)

18 February 2014 at 15:27  
Blogger And said...

The needle threaders aren't easy to understand, it isn't completely logical. What you do is this. You push the silver 'point' of the fine wire threader through the eye of the needle. (It may be too thick for the finest needles.)
The wire point of the threader will open out once through the eye of the needle and it is through this 'eye' that you thread your cotton - it will be much bigger than the needle's eye.
You then pull the threader and thread back through the needle's eye.
Voila! You have threaded your needle.
I usually double the thread and tie a knot in it to prevent it becoming tangled or unthreaded.

18 February 2014 at 16:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home