My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, November 22, 2013

Durham Lumiere...Kennedy Anniversary...

Is it really a week since I attended this event...in hindsight though it hurts that I had to pay £35 to get home from what was meant to be an inexpensive night, I feel more positive about the experience. I reckon I was closer than I realise to a couple of exhibits and I think I saw sixteen of the twenty seven displays.

I also realise that my few images of the night were as good as any taken and others were having problems getting them right. I don't want to take credit for them or fill the post with too many so I will link to the site direct on facebook.

Lumiere Durham 2013

Today is a day in reverse...I have slept during the day and likely as not I will be awake for the night. The temperature is warmer this evening for some reason, not necessarily across the whole house but in my bedroom its 20c(68f)

I have had a mug of coffee and made myself a Panini roll with a salad filling, it was a case of grabbing what I had and no real preparation needed, so it was some chicken, tomato, lettuce, spinach, spring onion and sweet pickle/chutney. Its good that I don't tire of salad...

A contrast to last week, I am listening to a kind of reconstruction of the events(in real time)of the assignation of President John F Kennedy in Dallas Texas USA on this day fifty years ago. It is supposed to be in real time but as it has a lot of retrospect material it is different as all such historic events are in hindsight.

My memories are vague because I was so young at the time. I'm not sure if I was watching the news, I believe Mum was working at the off licence at the bottom of the street where I live(still there today)but run by a different company...and my Dad phoned her to tell her the news. I am unaware that we ever phoned each other with events taking place in the news.

Then again back then telephones were still quite rare, news was available by TV, Radio and newspapers and in general it was still quite slow to reach the public, today we would have access to the internet, social networks, digital media, mobile phones, 24 hour rolling news etc..and it would be so much more immediate.

Also in hindsight we have a habit of idolising some public figures and can be afraid to be critical of them just as some can be vilified in life and later we can understand more why decisions were perhaps taken in good faith at the time. Also memories can be affected over the years. It is a fine line that we tread.

Who amongst us are perfect?

I have just come across the following approx three hours after writing the above and I think it is a fair, thoughtful and measured piece...

JFK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home