My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, August 19, 2013

What A Lazy Boy...

I have been today...

I stayed put. Had a couple of salads. Listened to the radio. I bit the bullet and decided to buy a bread machine today whilst I have the means to...I still plan to mainly make my own by hand and bake a few items in the oven at a time but it could come in handy. There are lots more recipes for bread(home and machine made)to the few I know and are in the manual. I will still look for items that have been reduced in the supermarket.

I have even discovered that it is also possible to bake bread in a slow cooker and microwave oven so lots of options. A bread maker was the last item for the kitchen that I had not already purchased in my collection of kitchen gadgets.

If/when I share my success I will make it clear whether it is all my own work or I have cheated.

I'm not a big drinker but whilst the Carlsberg Export is on offer and working out as little as 50p a bottle I have treated myself. They'll last me quite some time.

I missed my bus and could not get a taxi for love or money. So I set away for my Sunday social and approx a couple of minutes into my walk found a taxi waiting, I asked when his next free appointment was, ten minutes...it would take me between twenty to thirty minutes. I booked myself in and saved a walk(even if I was £4 lighter with included tip)

I use taxi's as little as possible so this was an exception. The taxi's have a good time on Sunday evenings because of the lack of buses. They really do make a killing and its hard luck if you cannot share with someone.

Someone gave me a dabber for playing bingo, how much easier it is compared to underlining the numbers with a pen.

I did come close this week but not close enough. The quiz was our lowest figure for some weeks...we knew some of the answers but could not bring them to mind and it was a case of when told the answer you realise you do know it.

Some I had never heard before but I won't forget them should they ever come around again...

Such as Who attempted to steal the crown jewels in 1671? The answer:Thomas Blood, an Irish adventurer better known as "Captain Blood," and was captured attempting to steal the Crown Jewels from the Tower of London disguised as a parson. Blood and his gang fled, but were soon captured. He was pardoned by the king for unknown reasons.

Another question that threw us was...

Which prime minister died in 1945 but was the first to use Chequers as the official residence? The Answer:David Lloyd George

So we were thinking Churchill/Chamberlain but as we thought Churchill was alive until the early 1960's....

It was misleading putting in the fact this PM had died in 1945...though true.

Here's why...

Neville Chamberlain was PM at the start of WWII and in office between 1937-1940* where upon Winston Churchill took over in 1940 until 1945. He also was in office again between 1951-1955. He passed away in 1965.

David Lloyd George was in office between 1916-1922.

So the question could have been asked more simply such as...

Which PM was the first to use Chequers as the official residence?
 
(*Chamberlain died whilst in office within a year of the war starting)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home