My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, August 05, 2013

Catch Up...

Where to start?

On Saturday I awoke a little later than planned. Looked my watch and thought I really should be up and out of here but continued to stay in bed. Every so often saying "Just another 10 minutes more..." Three hours later I did do something about it. Had a quick wash and shave, dressed, made some salad and egg rolls. Checked what else I planned to take with me for the day.

Money, bus pass, small bottle of water, a larger one of tonic water, camera(that gets taken virtually everywhere)just in case I see something of interest and theatre ticket. And I was away out of the door. Once I had left home it was likely I would not return for at many hours. I looked at weather and decided to not bother with any suncream, my sunhat and looked for a thin coat to take the possible chill off should the weather change or rain.

I caught a bus into Darlington around midday...


 I switched virtually immediately to the service for Barnard Castle. Some ten minutes out the bus stopped and we were all moved to another(ours had some unknown problems)memories of the previous the week when something similar happened on the way to the Sunderland Airshow. Luckily the driver had arranged ahead so there was no delay.

As we travelled towards Barnard Castle the weather kept looking more threatening but happily as I reached my destination it was in my favour.

I wasn't very mobile so had to give up any ideas of a quick tour of the town and a lack of time meant I had to concentrate on the reason for me being there. I did see the monthly Teesdale Farmers Market for the first time but avoided looking at any stall(more later)

I did pop into a branch of a nationwide health food chain and paid "Silly" money for the two items money for the two items still missing from my list of recently purchased vitamins/minerals. I say for two items...one isn't that badly priced to be honest 250 tablets of sea kelp for £2.99(plus for 1p more)another bottle containing the same amount. But the gensing cost me £17.99 for 100 tablets but a similar offer was on them so for 1p more I got another 100.

But they'll last me for ages and added to everything else its working at less than £1 per week. It has been too long since I have walked in the town centre and there is a reasonable variety of shops(some available anywhere)others are independent. And with my interest in food some that offer more than local towns to where I live. If I ever get my freezer emptied or invest in another, I will visit the butchers there and bring home a selection of what they sell.

So why was I there?

I had found out about a concert being given in the newly upgraded Scar Top area of the town...looking around the internet it seemed quite a distance from the town centre but after phoning the tourist shop in town I was told the bus stops there.

Sadly, a lack of publicity meant that audience numbers were low and I wonder how many were present by luck. Thankfully the numbers increased as the concert went on. We were told that the band was given approx one weeks notice from being asked to give a show. They were great!

I talked to the conductor afterwards and I had to admit I had no idea they existed and he told me that they have been in existence since 1962, virtually all of my life.

They were great. I had some video's to prove it. The music programme was varied for the popular to the unexpected. I cannot use the video's because though thankfully wind rarely is noticeable with our hearing, as it was blustery the noise overides the sound on them.

But here are a selection of stills that I managed to take. Take a bow the Dueham Constabulary Brass Band. I hope to see them again.


 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home