My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Funny How Your Plans Often Change...

at short notice. Weather permitting and energy being ok...I am still on for Saltburn's food festival and band concert on Sunday.

Saturday night the musical based on the life and music of Glenn Miller "Bugle Boy"

On Friday I think I may travel to get my tickets for a show in the town hall in a neighbouring town for August/September to see Prelude/Keith Morrison and Kieron Goss/Lacewing and a ticket for that light event in Durham for November.

But into the mix and by chance on Saturday before the musical in the evening I may be heading to Barnard Castle to see a free concert between 2pm-4pm by the Durham Constabulary Brass Band. I did not even realise they had a brass band.

Again by chance the monthly Farmer's Market is being held there but whether I go to it is another matter as I hope to go to Saltburn the following day.

ETA:I am determined to go to Whitby after what I have seen on the internet, also the fishing village of Staithes. Because we are already into August and nights are drawing in I better be quick about it. Circumstances are likely to change to. I think I was in Staithes decades ago as a child but I was listening to a tribute to a favourite of mine Bernard Cribbins on R4, he mentioned doing a children's series called "Jack's Old Boat" I found an episode online and it is set on location in a picturesque location and as I wondered where he said "Staithes"

If I go on a weekday and catch a bus around 6.55am I can be there by approx 9.30am and its only another 15 min or so to reach Whitby. I think this week is out but next week a possiblity and I'll take some photo's and video's.

Not much to report except I picked up my medication today, decided it was time to stock up on my vitamins/minerals and got quite a good deal where it will cost no more than £1 a week. I popped into the supermarket and found some deals on fruit(not reduced)but selling at a lower price than normal...blackberries for £1 and salad stuff, as I left I also found some treats reduced too. So quite a good day...fish is even on the menu again, normal price I found a box of  four quality haddock fillets for £2 so I think that is a good deal too.

Here's my recent food haul...cakes, biscuits, bread and bread buns worth £14, I paid £3 saving £11.



It looks a lot for £3 and it is but does not look that much at the original prices.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Floss said...

Hi Pops,
Staithes is indeed the location for "Jacks Old Boat", which is being shown on CBeebies this weekend.
Be aware that unless you can get a bus right down to the harbour, the walk down & back up to the main road is quite steep, as Staithes is set in a deep gully. It is really beautiful though, as is Whitby and the surrounding area.
If you get a chance, please would you count the steps to the Abbey for me, just to make sure there are still 199?!
Enjoy your days out,
Floss

1 August 2013 at 07:39  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hello Floss :-)
I avoid steep locations normally through choice and now because physically I will pay the price but as a one off and if I take the time I may be ok. Its sad this is so but I accept this is how things are.

I have been warned of a similar situation at Whitby too but there I believe there are ways to avoid some of the more difficult parts of the town.

Ahh yes the famous 199 steps(I'll check them out...from a safe distance)

I quite like Durham but that too causes problems, its ok going down the inclines but not going up them so now I take alternative routes.

1 August 2013 at 10:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home