My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Approx Fourteen Months Ago...

As anyone who was with me at that time or has read back that far...it was coming up to the final stages of Mum's life. At the time she was put on what was the Liverpool Care Pathway Plan but I was very much in the dark and misled. Anyone reading my blog between 2011-2012 knows that I was unhappy with the care she received and rightly or wrongly I will always think there was neglect and un-necessary stress.

And the LCPP was the last straw. I hasten to add that there are positive experiences but not long after losing Mum tales were coming into the newspapers and media and general.

Now, it does appear that the plan is going to be revamped or a new scheme will be launched that hopefully will give comfort to those whose loved ones are suffering and dignity to the those coming to the end of their lives. It won't bring Mum back and it perhaps verifies that my concerns were valid but this perhaps good news for those who find themselves in similar circumstances.

Having this on top of everything else probably made the loss of Mum more difficult to cope with...Even more having read the following in an article in The Mail on line I quote:
"Baroness Neuberger spoke to dozens of people about the care their loved ones had received during their final hours.

Some reported ‘disobeying instructions from medical staff to withhold fluids’ – instead secretly giving them water when the nurse had left the room.

The report says: ‘Some talked about their relatives sucking on the sponges that they had been given to wet the patient’s mouth in an attempt to get fluid, when fluids had been deliberately withheld.’

It finds that in many cases, opiates were given in too strong a dose, making the patient ‘too drowsy and confused to be able to communicate and ask for water’.

And it adds: ‘There was a feeling that the drugs had been used as a “chemical cosh” that reduced people’s desire to accept food or drink"

That was exactly what happened to Mum so I wasn't imagining it. Finally the truth is out. Doesn't make you feel good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home