My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Durham Miners Gala 2013

This was my first visit to the Gala. This was 129th year. We were blessed with good weather(I purchased my first sun cream)in many years and it was needed. I had my straw hat for protection, water and fruit in the rucksack. I'm not known for being out in the sun for hours. I went for protection factor 10 and it seems to have worked.
 
I'm not sure how many who attended did so because the location had many many fair rides and food outlets nor how many continued to enjoy the day for those reasons but there was a fair sized audience willing and ready to listen positivily and respond to what was said. I knew everyone who spoke except one. And they sound different when not edited by the media or reduced to soundbites or have a inference imposed by a reporter/correspondent.
 
Sadly too late I found that there were a few people present(probably quite near to me)who I tweet to regularly and we share our political views and had we known we could have said hello and put a face to our on screen names...
 
There will be other times I am sure. Who said that you can't talk politics and still be friends*:) happy
 
I did not get around to speaking to those who spoke except one and of course I was brief but shook the hand of Owen Jones. He is a very articulate orator. I was torn whether to take stills or video's but the view was restricted and the battery would have ran out of power sooner.

The speeches should be heard and the following report is fair and detailed and worth reading. Many speeches can be listened to and there are more images to be seen here

Overall my opinion was there is hope and no one who spoke had extreme views just wanted to protect the rights and conditions we have secured over the last 100 years and hopefully add a few more.

 


 
 
Kevin Maguire, Associate Editor of The Daily Mirror
 

Margaret Aspinall who was involved in the Hillsborough Campaign



 
 
 
Owen Jones, Journalist and author
 

 
Ricky Tomlinson Actor, Activist




Bob Crow, General Secretary RMT
 
 

 
Frances O’Grady, General Secretary TUC

 

 

 
Len McCluskey, General Secretary UNITE
 
The following are general panoramic views of the ground that the Gala was staged. Remember you can click on all images to enlarge them.
 
 
 
 
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home