My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, May 13, 2013

Mum Was Given A Cross...

That was a little different to others...a lady brought four into church some years ago and wanted Mum to have one. It brought both of us comfort. I don't have much that Mum owned as a keepsake and that was one item Mum wanted me to have.

Between the hospital and nursing home in the final weeks it went missing. Today when I took some of her clothes to the charity shop in the pocket of a coat I found a little clear plastic packet containing a verse but also a little cross.

The verse is called The Cross In My Pocket.

I carry a cross in my pocket,
A simple reminder to me
That I am a Christian,
No matter where I may be.
 
This little cross isn’t magic,
Nor is it a good luck charm.
It isn’t meant to protect me
From every physical harm.
 
It’s not for identification
For all the world to see.
It’s simply an understanding
Between my Savior and me.
 
When I put my hand in my pocket
To bring out a coin or a key,
The cross is there to remind me
Of the price He paid for me.
 
It reminds me too, to be thankful
For my blessings every day,
And to strive to serve Him better
In all that I do or say.
 
It’s also a daily reminder
Of the peace and comfort I share
With all who know my Master
And give themselves to His care.
 
So, I carry a cross in my pocket
Reminding none but me
That Jesus Christ is Lord of my life,
If only I’ll let Him be.
- – - written by Vera Mae Thomas
 
On Mum's card it does not say who wrote it. So I guess this will be my keepsake now...

2 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

What a lovely thing to find more than a year later. Almost as if your mum is saying 'Chin up, Anthony.'
The poem is by Mrs. Verna Mae Thomas.had houlgr

13 May 2013 at 19:13  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks VQ,
Its kind of how I read it and though like anyone I have times that I doubt and I question my faith such things do come along that make you think someone may be watching that you come to no harm...

13 May 2013 at 19:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home