My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Did I Say That It Was Cold? Oh And A Review Of Pam Ayres Show...

It was so cold yesterday that even with all my warmest clothes on including two hats, two scarves and gloves I was still cold and my face was the reddest I can remember it ever being...mainly caused by the biting wind.  

Now whether because I had been in a theatre and warmed up or it really had changed I don't know but I can say that when it was time to come home the wind had dropped considerably and it did seem warmer.

Back in my own town that wind had returned and once indoors I could hear it occasionally through the night. And it is still doing so this morning.

Snow in this part of the North East had all but disappeared. Some areas are really struggling as are other parts of the UK with no power to homes. Perhaps here it is too cold for it. Though ice can be more of a problem and there is a fair bit of that still.

I found a new place to eat my sandwiches which was protected from the wind and rain, not the greatest view in the world I have to admit...Durham bus station.

So I was well fed before the show and still had one salad roll to have whilst waiting for the bus home.

Did I mention what I had taken with me...Two bottles of Ribena fruit drink, a small strawberry trifle, custard donut, some breakfast biscuits, small packet of crisps and two wholemeal salad rolls containing ham, cheese, watercress, tomato, egg and spring onions and a cereal bar.

Having said that, that was my total food intake for the whole day...most days I eat less calorie wise and some things there are not eaten that often so were treats.

I am seriously thinking of making something a little special today for my meal, I don't think I have before...a kind of ham, leek and potato pie and other vegetables on the plate(I have yet to decoed whether to put mashed or sliced potato on top)and for the liquid I may use some celery condensed soup. I'll tell you if I do but I have so much salad in the fridge(and it wasn't cheap)I don't want to waste it so I may go for the easy option and have salad.

Now as for the show what can I tell you about the person that I saw...It would help if I said who before I go on. Pam Ayres.

I really don't know that much about Pam except that I have watched and listened to her for around forty years. She performs comedy and has had a variety of tv and radio series...I go back to the start of her career in television

She is most famous I guess for her poetry but thankfully is able to perform as a comedian and has the gift of words and just seems to be funny seemingly naturally gifted but I am sure that there is a lot of work put into making it look so easy.

Pam entertained us with poems(new and old)some stories of her life and made two hours fly by. Just her and no one else on stage, to command an audience and keep their interest is not easy(It was sold out)She has personality and a warm smile. One of the best nights I have had at a theatre. I can truely say that I enjoyed it and it was worth the effort.

When mobility is poor, you are watching the pennies, have to depend on a less than perfect bus service(hanging around in the cold waiting for the next one to get you there and home)and often alone walking slowly on a dark street it does take some effort. So you want it to be good. Pam delivered.

Often TV neglects performers like Pam, oh they get invited onto some magazine or afternoon programme as a guest and the interviewer will tell you how popular they are and what they have done and the audience obviously likes/loves them but will they offer the artist a series or a special...very rarely. In fairness the performer may get to a stage in their career where they like to pick and choose what they do and slow down, have a family life but often TV and it does often depend on ratings(especially commercial TV)goes for soaps, the new loud, brash talent contests like Pop Idol and so called reality series these days. Having said that I have found that she still has some guest spots such as this appearance on "QI"

Yet programmes from 30, 40 years or more often still pull in respectable audiences and are remembered with great fondness. The TV executives often seem to aim their schedules at the younger end of the market and yes it is true with technology much of it can be watched via the internet on catch up or downloaded but looking at the age of those out in Durham City at the bars, clubs and for want of a better word Disco's the audience the TV people are after, the last thing on their minds was watching TV.

But Pam has a reputation built on years of hard graft by having appeared on TV and writing collections of her poems and quite recently her autobiography. Also getting out there and meeting the public and performing on stage. In recent years radio has been kind and she has had some wonderful series on the National speech network BBC Radio 4 and also appeared on the long running game show "Just A Minute" In this edition made for TV(which I have just discovered)sadly only Pam and Nicholas are still surviving.

Sometimes I come out of a show/concert and I know each person has their own take on what they see but I am disappointed, perhaps I think it was ok but nothing really special but it filled a couple of hours. Pam was special and it was one of the best nights I have had in a theatre, one of those you don't want to end.

Should you get the chance to see Pam at a theatre near you. Do try and go, I am sure you'll feel like me.

Just to say the links take you to You Tube videos apologies if some of you are unable to watch them for some reason...

9 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

Hi Gildy.
It has indeed been very cold.
Although salad is very good for you, you need carbohydrates to help ward off the cold.
Potatoes, Porridge and Pasta!!

As for Pam Ayres, she's one of my favourites too. So clever.
I looked up her website to see if she's coming to London. She'll be at Cadogan Hall, Chelsea in October. Unfortunately, that's just to awkward for me to get to. Shame.
But I'm glad you enjoyed her show.

25 March 2013 at 11:21  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hello VQ,
Pam has a Twitter account(but doesn't reply to people officially)but sometimes you do get a response and Pam favoured one of my tweets over the weekend after the show.

You know I have loads of cereal and porridge so no excuse really.

Potatoes too which I could do with the salads...even a jacket potato I suppose...I have tended to do salads but not any potatoes or chips with it.

I still have a bag of baby leaf salad to use up so perhaps I could add a potato or two today...

Good old baked beans might work as another simple meal and pasta wise even spaghetti.

Thinks must go away and look up some recipes :o)

25 March 2013 at 11:46  
Anonymous VQ said...

I love jacket potatoes but begrudge the long time in the oven.
These days, I scrub and prick the potato and then microwave for ten minutes and then pop it in the oven for about 20 minutes (according to size) for a crisp skin. Lovely with grated cheese over it.

25 March 2013 at 13:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Microwave gets used more and more here especially as you can even steam vegetables.

Picked up a reduced(plastic)pressure cooker that works in a microwave and a few days ago what looks like a smaller version(ideal for someone living alone)for smaller portions and I could do soup, vegetables etc...in it.

I agree that cheese is good. Sometimes I need that "kick up the bum" to make the effort but I think I am doing ok in general in the circumstances and as positive as I am able.

25 March 2013 at 13:45  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Actually, I still am unsure as daft as it seems, whether I should eat the skin on jacket potatoes I have done and assume that is why they say scrub the skin.

Then again I watched a chef on tv and he ate the skin on mackeral and I have usually removed it perhaps that is wrong too.

I see alongside the Paul Hollywood bread programme there is a new series of the Hairy Bikers starting on April 1st. I will watch and promise to do some of what I see and get ideas but then probably do the opposite :o)

25 March 2013 at 13:51  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Doing most of it without help and of course I worry about income and changes coming but really you are unable to plan and have to deal with what is thrown at you when it happens.

And it is coming up to the first anniversary in approx 28 days.

You may have seen, I think I mentioned it. I am on very mild medication.

I am in control but it has taken the edge off any worries or morbid thoughts that cross my mind and usually I can let them go. Or when they hit I don't feel worked up.

I think you do cope initially and it often affects you years later.

25 March 2013 at 14:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so glad you enjoyed the show! Sounds like so much fun and laughter is truly the best medicine!

I love salad and baked potato. It's a great dinner, not too expensive and pretty good for you, to boot.

Jan :o)

25 March 2013 at 18:24  
Anonymous VQ said...

Re eating potato skins.......
It's fine. In fact, they're good for you so long as you scrub them first.
All fruit and veg should be washed well if you are going to eat the skin.
I bought a nail brush in the 99p shop, especially for this job and keep it by the kitchen sink.

Bereavement affects us all differently, Gildy. It sounds to me as it you are doing fine. I'm very pleased that you are making a real effort to get out and about. That's good. We all have the occasional 'down' day of course. That's normal.

25 March 2013 at 18:28  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Good to see Jan and you around...must see what has happened to Carol. Hope all is well...

I should have added something but I had some boiled eggs already cooked so I have just had an egg sandwich.

At least I'm eating and having a varied diet...

As you will see from a later post on my blog...what I managed to get reduced at the supermarket.

25 March 2013 at 19:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home