My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Mutton Dressed As Lamb...

The previous post had me thinking...

What should you wear when you are older? Especially, having mentioned the singer from the group ABBA who I noticed was wearing long black leather boots.

I remember though my Gran and Auntie dressed smartly they looked as we expect them to...lots of cardigans, head scarfs, hats and floral print frocks.

People don't dress that way these days and though it is perhaps easier for a man, if I survive into my old age I cannot see me dressing much different to how I do now. Shirts, jumpers, coats, jackets, trainers, trousers etc...whether that will look wrong, I don't know. I do believe that we feel younger inside than perhaps our outward appearance suggests. I have never really been one for spending hours looking in the mirror.

Though I do hope that I am reasonably smart when I do go out(even if I wear more charity shop clothes these days)

I have plenty to change between but of late with the cold weather, I did take to wearing something I never thought I would in my life...thermals...

Sometimes it was just as easy to go to bed in them but these past few nights I have made the distinction of wearing pyjamas, I originally as you may remember purchased all the things I thought I needed when I found myself alone and thought if money gets tight, I would be prepared and also in case as could happen I may end up in hospital for an op and have to stay in for a day or two.

Luckily, I have another three pairs of which two are more like a t-shirt and lounge type trousers not what would be seen as the kind older men once wore.

I did not bother with PJ's for years because the house was always warm but now I have to watch the cost of the central heating it is easier to wear extra clothes and cheaper too.

I have conceeded to using where necessary, hot water bottles and an electric blanket.

To be honest I probably have enough clothes to last me the rest of my life. And as I am unlikely to change much and my weight is constant they should last me years.

Speaking of which allowing in the past for weight gain due to illness and medication. It is not the most accurate scales machine in the world but maybe a couple of hours ago I weighed myself and I do believe that I have managed to come down to approx 9st 7lbs and that makes me happy. It's going in the right direction.

Update:I don't believe in weighing myself much but found that I am even less in weight nearer 9st so some of that extra might be water retention. I have added a badge to my blog that will show when I lose/put on weight but hopefully it will remain as now, where I maintain it. I did a rough calculation of my Body Mass Index and I am for my height and weight, in a comfortable range.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My older sister is an excellent example of aging gracefully. She's always stylish but never looks like she's trying to dress younger than she is.

That always seems sort of sad to me when women think they can wear something a twenty year-old wears. I couldn't watch the video of Agnetha because of my funky laptop, but leather pants seems over the top to me...but I guess entertainers have always dressed over the top. :oP

This lack of mobility and steroids for my breathing has really add the pounds, Gildy. I've never been very vain either, and have always tended to be curvy but this weight gain and my teeth can be a little depressing.

My husband, on the other hand, is gorgeous! He's aging very well...except for his old-man-chicken-legs! But nobody else sees those. :oP

Jan

14 March 2013 at 06:18  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I think just as I said about how our grans and older relatives looked they also had names of the time...

Often named after flowers such as Daisy, Rose, Lily or they had names that were easily changed like Florence becoming Flo/Florrie.
Edith/Eddie etc...names I don't hear these days.

14 March 2013 at 07:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home