My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Protest Could Have Been Better Attended...

They thought it a success publicly but it looked small in number to me, I have no idea how the rest of the planned events went across the country. If we think that we have it bad(and I think it will become much worse)especially after what I just heard on the radio as I awoke an hour or so ago.

I hear it was largely ignored in the press and media.

It is to be discussed in the Cyprus parliament(and probably approved today)A bailout regarding its finances and the idea causing most worry is that they are being told to put a 10% levy on savings you may have in the bank, so if you have 100,000euros(£86,590)or more and around 6.75% for those upto 100,000euros.

So naturally people are attempting to withdraw cash. It does make you wonder how safe anyone's money is across Europe...even here. Will we see runs on banks because people get the jitters...

I don't want to really get into the immigration thing and recent worries of the influx or possible people from Europe coming here as it always turns into racism or attacks on people who depend on benefits and whether an influx of people takes jobs away from others etc...

But another report on radio the other day showed how the population in Bulgaria are suffering and I looked it up the internet. They are in real trouble too(we have already heard of Greece, Portugal, Italy, Spain and Ireland)but rarely of Cyprus/Bulgaria. We are now.

So in Bulgaria they have been protesting at the price of electric but it has escalated to other problems such as the cost of food etc...and some people have been so deperate they have set fire to themselves.

So that's 7 member states out of 27 in real trouble. There will be more.

Update:On the radio a few minutes ago, some expert(in an important post)has said that is a widely held view that what they are doing in Cyprus regarding savings is being tried out on a small country and if it works, the idea will be rolled in larger countries like Spain and Italy etc...That Cyprus is being used as...an experiment.

I decided to stay in the town until the show...how I filled 7 boring hours I have no idea but I did. I was so tired I could hardly walk(well worse than usual)and in the last hour I was feeling the cold and had to put my gloves, scarf and had on.

By then the area that the theatre uses for a café/bar was open so I went into that and as soon as they opened the doors to the theatre I went in...I had taken an extra jumper so put that on too. Considering I had thermals and a shirt on as too it was quite nippy. I was thankful I had a small flask with me and I managed to make it last over the day, it really only was enough for two cups of tea but stretched it out so I was only having half cups and doing so stops you having to look for a public toilet.

I had plans to take some sandwiches and cereal bars but in the end that plan did not happen and I opted for a portion of warm chips which took the edge off my hunger...for the first time they were not as nice as they usually are. I ate them and had a cup of tea on the seats that I often use that offer some protection against wind and rain.

Otherwise, I am more likely to be found in the market place...which is also near the theatre and a number of retailers. This was also where the protest took place. I tried to link to an interactive image but it doesn't work that way. To be honest there are not many areas in the retail area for sitting if you become tired or have difficulty walking. It seems to be more of a problem in many towns these days...

The area around the Cathedral is said to be nice but unless you catch a bus or can walk easily you are taking yourself further away from the main areas you need to be(shops/bus station)I believe the last time I visited the Cathedral and Castle was 1984. And until late last year I reckon I had not set foot in Durham for around 20 years.

By 5pm it was starting to get cold so appreciated that I had scarves, hat and gloves in my rucksack. By 6pm I was able to sit in the theatre's cafe area to keep warmer. Before the concert I was able to put on my new lemon coloured jumper from the charity shop costing 99p($1.49)

Now to the show. It was pretty good. Starring vocalist Clare Teal. Her set found her not just singing the standards and songs that are heard often but it does mean that I did not recognise some of music.

I reckon the show lasted around 105 minutes. I do remember her singing Mountain Greenery(Mel Tormé)Dream A Little Dream Of Me, Twenty Mile Zone(Dory Previn)Why(Annie Lennox)Sing It Back, Get Happy(Judy Garland)California Dreaming(Mama's and the Papas)Chasing Cars(Snow Patrol)Tea For Two(and familiar songs had been arranged to sound different)

The music Clare sings and programmes that she presents on radio tend to be standards but this concert proved that she will attempt music by composers/singers of today and other genres. It probably has to be done to ensure that you attract new followers.

She was accompanied by drums, double bass and piano.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Gildy!

Sounds like a very eventful day.

Sorry the turnout wasn't better for the protest. But at least you feel as though you've done SOMETHING, you know?

Lack of seating in public places is a real problem in my town too. Good thing when we go out like that I'm in my wheelchair. I'd never make it otherwise.

Never listened to Claire Teal's show on R2, though I've seen it on many times.

Sounds like you had a pretty good time otherwise. :o)

Jan

25 March 2013 at 17:01  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Picking up a pace Jan...

Another protest this weekend and they think numbers will be up and there are more of them across the UK.

If my bus pass arrives I can travel there for free, still hasn't arrived yet.

That evening I am at a show for the anniversary of the passing of Patsy Cline and they are telling her story and featuring her music...I don't know the person taking her part but George Hamilton IV is appearing too.

25 March 2013 at 17:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Patsy Cline! :o) Hope they do her justice!

Hope the protest goes well. And as the song goes..Power to the People, Right On! :o)

Jan

27 March 2013 at 09:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home