My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What A Change...

At the start of the year it was a Viennese classical concert,** The Happy Cats with a variety of Geordie and Celtic folk music, The Syd Lawrence Big Band concert two weekends ago, Saturday past The Grimethorpe Collery Brass Band...so I was laid in bed early yesterday evening listening to the rain lashing against the bedroom window...

The next minute I was on my way unplanned I was on my way to a tribute to Billy Fury, a popular music icon of the late 50's and early 60's from the same manager's stable of Larry Parnes who was also responsible for artists like Joe Brown and Marty Wilde. And guess who I should be seeing all being well this coming weekend...Marty Wilde(He's 74 in April)still touring and performing...

The backing band at the Billy Fury tribute originally worked with him but as the night went it on they worked with him during the 70's so not during what was probably his greatest period. And by 1977 he had retired due to ill health.

The singer fronting the show, Colin Gold originally performed as Billy Fury on the TV series "Stars In Their Eyes*" and has been working with this band for 16 years.

Yesterday was...the 30th anniversary of Fury's passing...Had he been still alive he would have been 72 years old now.

What a diverse variety of music but I am so happy to appreciate so many different genres.

*A UK series(possibly other versions are produced in other countries)where members of the public portray a famous singer and sing one of their most popular songs. TV company dresses the person in clothes and styles their hair to help complete the overal look.

Occasionally, there have been specials where professional performers have appeared as another famous person. The series has been off the air for a number of years. I have linked to some episodes to give you an idea what the series was like. I never thought much of the programme and very few were anywhere near sounding like the people that they impersonated.

**On these videos they sing their own songs, the concert that I saw the selection of songs were not self penned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home