My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Good Or Bad Thing...

None of us know how long we have and what circumstances(health or otherwise)will cut our lives short. I never expected kidney disease and as said many years ago on my blog I have no idea if it would have happened to me anyhow or whether it was due to neglect or caused by myself overdosing/reacting to medication taking for a bad and very painful back.

I have in many ways been fortunate that deterioration seems to have been very slow and controllable but that does not mean there have not been worries along the way nor problems in the future. Or my life will not be cut short or other health conditions will not be added to the list of conditions I will experience.

Diet wise the only advice I have ever been given is "Don't eat a big red steak!" It's over working the kidneys with protein...

To be honest I don't eat loads of red meat anyhow. I can manage without. The worry is that many kidneys can be overworked. They seem happy for me to eat fish, turkey and chickenbut again I eat smaller portions and not every day. As kidney functions decrease you may be told that you cannot drink much liquid. I have discovered that some foods/drinks should be reduced or stopped. And some ingredients essential to your health can be bad for the kidneys but are needed for overall general health.

I assume cutting back on some foods may help the kidneys last longer. Potassium seems to be a bit of a problem if in too great a quantity and so bananas could be a bad choice and yet I have eaten them for years. So now I am starting to wonder if I should cut them out altogether or only eat the smallest amount possible even if I throw most of it away.

Potatoes are high and when I first took ill and was in hospital I remember a patient who did all he could to give me hope had to double boil potatoes(as an example)to drain off some of the chemicals that are in them(another way is to soak them in water for a few hours)and drain the water off. I have never been told to do that but have started to again.

Looking into things again(not that I eat a lot of these items)there is a suggestion that you should not eat wholemeal bread, cereals and drink alcohol(I don't drink much anyhow)milk, tea, coffee, fruit juice and soft drinks so that would only leave water!

I can't decide if they are saying I'm not too bad so carry on within reason and enjoy what you can whilst you are able because one day you won't be able to. Or you're doing ok and having a varied diet is good for you. I would hate to think what I am doing is speeding up the condition un-necessary.

Even items like chocolate and dairy products may not be such a good idea? And yet when I was ill and in hospital for the first time I was given...tea and yogurt!

When my consultant asks what I eat and general say vegetables, fruit and chicken/fish he has not told me to avoid certain items or cook them differently but I think that I will ask again next time I see him or may contact before then. It may be awful to find out bad news or see my diet become more restrictive but better to do something about it whilst it possible.

Even some herbs could be out even though you are told to use them to flavour your foods rather than use salt.

And that goes for vitamins too. Then again you can worry too much and cause un-necessary concern on something that may not happen. Perhaps I am better not to say anything at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home