My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Sugar And Salt...

I am happy to say that in general I eat very little sugar and salt. I have become used to doing without or adding them to the food that I cook and eat. Most of my meals are not processed but I reckon when something is or has an ingredient that is I get enough from what is added to bread, cereals, cakes, biscuits and ready meals etc...

The only thing I am a little naughty on when I cook my own meals is that I do like salt on potatoes, chips and tomatoes. And I like sugar in coffee but I now use sweeteners that are Cyclamate based and one tablet is the same as one teaspoon of sugar and has no calories.

They last me ages even if I use quite a few. As does salt and I use sea salt these days.

Otherwise, everything I eat is served as it is. In time I probably could cut down on making my coffee as sweet. I do make my tea and coffee very weak and milky anyhow. So even coffee and tea goes a long way.

I am quite pleased with myself that I eat as healthily and for as little as I possibly can. But as incomes reduce, remain frozen, prices for food and essentials continue to rise this will become a normal way of life for many more of us sadly.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't fool yourself for one minute more about Sea salt being better than bog standard salt. It might look better but the only difference is that Sea salt may contain some natural minerals and some colouring from evaporation of the liquors from which it was obtained.
Don't forget it is Na+ ion (Cation) which does the damage to the body in excess, causing water retention etc. And in any case certain foods you buy not only get their Na+ for NaCl i.e salt but from other additives contained therein, if one buys ready made foods, soups, baked beans etc.

Nick

28 January 2013 at 14:50  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I totally agree Nick. And I generally avoid all ready meals or if something is processed everything else won't be...and I tend to either do without adding any to my food whilst cooking or at the table.

Though again some things we should avoid the rest of the body needs some of.

I'm reducing potassium by soaking potatoes and draining off the water or boiling twice...

If I eat a banana I eat smaller ones or less.

Good to hear from you again.

28 January 2013 at 23:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home