My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, December 04, 2012

The Price Of Dying...

During my clear out of rubbish I came across a statement from the Funeral Directors and how much the service and cremation of my 103 year old Auntie cost in 1997.

£187.45

My dear Mum's service and cremation in 2012 and virtually the same £1,300. So what's that? A rise of approx £85 year on year. So if I survive another 20 years mine will come in at around £3,000.

I'd like to pay it off now but I am allowed £6,000 of savings in my bank so hopefully there will always be enough to cover my demise. For now any money I have is better spent on me trying to stay warm, keep a roof over my head, eating reasonably well and paying for an odd treat. Sod what happens when I am dead and gone...I won't be there if you see what I mean.

Update:I think I may have look at this again, I found a document of Mum's estimated funeral costs and it was just under £3,000 and I think that sounds right so the increase of funeral costs therefore is even worse. And the two that seem to have pushed the cost up is what the crematorium charge and the fee the vicar charges. Mum was worth whatever it costs and if money was no object I'd happily spend more. But many do think that at a time when we are at our most vulnerable we are taken advantage of.

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

That seems an incredible rise Gildy, 7 x in 15 years! As you say, you won't have to foot the bill so who cares!

5 December 2012 at 21:00  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I was taken aback by that myself but I have compared both services like for like and this was with the Coop who traditionally do most funerals.

Perhaps it depends on the fees the vicar and crem charge not so much the undertakers themselves. As I said months ago the Crem wants to charge nearly £400 to have Mum's name in the book of remembrance.

i may feel a bit strange but come January I may be doing something I never envisaged doing...bringing Mum's ashes home until I decide what to do.

And my local church seemingly allows a name to be included in a book for free or nowhere near what the crem is asking.

5 December 2012 at 22:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home