My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, October 04, 2012

Supermarkets...

Just back from the local Supermarket on the town. I haven't the money to spend and am worrying again about the future and how my income will be and whether I will end up in a home.

They are my two greatest worries in my life and which I have least control over so I try to live in the day and put them out of mind and most of the time I can but Tuesday was one of my down days...

Nothing in particular that I could put my finger on but I suspect it was that I was missing "Mum" and you know it's a strange thing but when I feel like this something seems to happen.

Of late if something brings a person into my mind that I have not thought of for ages, they often contact me on my blog or appear in a forum.

And I hate to say it but if it is someone famous, a day or so later, it says in the news that they have passed away.

I was looking at some information about the guitarist "Big" Jim Sullivan on the Internet yesterday/earlier this morning in the early hours and then it has been announced on the news he has passed away.

Now earlier today the Crematorium has been in touch and looks as though I will finally have to make a decision about Mum's remains. I feel bad if I don't have some kind of memorial for Mum but if I do the place is difficult to get to and in one way whilst I know Mum is no longer in the world I feel sad that she is there all alone and no one will go and see her or keep her company.

Then again if I have some kind of plaque or have her name written in the book of rememberence they are going to charge anything from £300+($485)to £617($997)and yet I feel a heel if I  let Mum's ashes be buried with no kind of mention but that costs nothing. It's as if she was never here but we're all just passing through. It's getting to me trying to decide what to do for the best...for her and for me.

I am tempted to have them scattered in the place we were most happiest and spent many times when on holiday in the coastal resort of Bournemouth. I don't know what it costs but I feel like having a park bench on the cliff top looking out to sea with a little plaque with our names on. I don't know...

Anyhow during my small shop today, I was amazed that they have increased the variety of what is on sale but so much of what is available are branded/quality products(Birds Eye as an example)many being sold at half price and many items are better than half price. Many were being sold uniformly at a £1($1.61)

It is only my opinion and I cannot prove it but the new discount SM opens in November and  is virtually just over the road from it so it's a fair bet they are trying to stop customers from going there but will it be temporary? Will it affect the new SM? If the new SM decides to leave will the original one increase their prices again?

Or if they can sell goods at these prices why they've waited until now but we know why, if you can charge plenty and know people have to pay profits are high...but hopefully the customer will benefit now.  And they now realise people are struggling. I suspect if the new SM had not been located so close to the other one they would have left the prices as they were but being almost neighbours they have had to do something.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you have your Mum's ashes at home with you in a little urn ? Then you wouldn't feel she was apart from you ? Several people I know have done this with their relatives.
Then in a few years time you might have decided what to do , but there's no hurry, you can keep them with you for ever if you choose .

4 October 2012 at 23:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Funnily enough a few people have said something similar and even suggested if I get my own funeral arrangements sorted having both our ashes scattered together and if I can think of somewhere special and someone who would do it that may be the way to go.

If I decide to do it I will know when the time is right.

Thank you I do need some input and it is all new to me.

4 October 2012 at 23:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a good idea , or you could have both your ashes scattered where your father's are.

5 October 2012 at 13:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I have never worked out why we never asked about or were never contacted to be present for the scattering of my Father's ashes. Or told that we could have them.

There has been a lot of ignorance on such matters. As far as I know my Fathers ashes were scattered at another crematorium in a different town.

The one Mum was cremated is nearer and seems nicer if I decided to have Mum laid to rest in its garden of remembrance.

5 October 2012 at 19:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


Your Mum's spirit was in her body while she was alive.IMHO it does not matter if one's ashes are left in Blackpool or Timbuctoo, its only ash. People only die when they are forgotten.

6 October 2012 at 12:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


You can usually select a particular flower bed in the garden of rememberance, every year you see a flower bloom you can think of your mother.

6 October 2012 at 14:28  
Anonymous Ian Young said...

We decided to have a small plaque in the crematorium which is quite near Dad's back garden

6 October 2012 at 21:35  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Ian,
that is a lovely idea and how wonderful that your Mum is so close to your Dad and where they both lived.

All the Anon's above make valid points and have been very understanding and considerate in what they say.

7 October 2012 at 00:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home