My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Returning To The Safety Of Childhood Things...

Early this morning by chance I found myself watching Walt Disney's classic animated masterpiece "Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs" I guess some would say some of it is not politically correct these days but it was made in and for different times, but you know there is nothing of any real harm in it. It is a pity that is the first thing I have had to say about it.

For all the wonderful things technology has brought us we really will never see the likes again of such wonderful screen masterpieces and the creativity of the artists that created them. I cannot think of the words to describe them. And many for whatever the reason were never given any credit but thanks to the internet you can search and find out the names of many of those whose talent made these films what they were.

I think that I have seen Snow White three times now...I assume when I was a child then I would guess around 1987 when it had been restored and re-issued on it's 50th Anniversary with Mum at the local cinema(Disney was always able to re-issue his classic cartoons for a new generation. Whereas now they are more likely to turn up on a DVD(sometimes on a limited edition release)or are shown on exclusive pay per view subscription TV channels.

I did not go onto a dodgy site on the internet but did come across this film and found myself watching it and to be honest it was like watching it through new eyes and I could not really remember much of it all. I had a sense of wonder and childlike innocence again. And yes though cynical and I see so much in the world I dislike I found myself in a much better place and as old as I am, yes I shed a tear in certain parts of the story.

And now...I am watching another classic issued eight years after "Snow White" and again another one to lose yourself in "Bambi"

I have been able to do so much since getting Broadband and realise all that I have missed regarding music and entertainment. How Mum could have and would've enjoyed what I am now doing. Come to that matter my Father missed out on it too. But I know if home PC's had been around he woud have embraced the technology and would have been surfing...

My next choice I think could be Fantasia...again that came around as a one off special(we used to get one night specials years ago)and I went along after work I think to see it. Another masterpiece, classical music married to various scenes and the imagination of those who drew the images that we saw on screen.Some funny, some scary, some difficult to decide what they meant but also one special segment featuring Disney's most famous character Mickey Mouse.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Ian Young said...

I loved Snow White but Bambi was so sad. Jungle Book is still a favourite :)

16 October 2012 at 10:23  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I believe that the Jungle Book was the last production Walt Disney had any involvement with.

Of course they have still done great things since but their golden period probably was up to that point and a lot what they have done since probably many others could have made.

Yes Bambi got to me... I have to admit.

As lavish as some of Disney's classics are I can see the style changing as time goes on is that because of cost or just a creative change I don't know.

But these early cartoons are so clever...how they drew things that I would have thought impossible to such as glistening dew drops or make running water look so realistic and without us having to wear glasses or new technology back then they managed to give the impression of depth with a similar effect to 3D.

16 October 2012 at 12:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Gildy! :o)

Sorry I've been so quiet lately. I had some family things going on (nothing serious thank goodness!) and I've been pretty busy. I've completely neglected catching-up. :o/

Having children meant I was always submersed in Disney...among other things. I don't think you ever out grow it.

I really like a lot of the new ones...especially from Pixar...but nothing can match the classic Disney, imo.

You might consider watching Lady and The Tramp and Cinderella again...oh! and 101 Dalmations! :o)

Anyhoo, I'm catching up on your posts now. Glad everything has been going fairly well...and sooo pleased you enjoyed your concerts! :o)

Jan

26 October 2012 at 19:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home