My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Ken Dodd...

Is it really almost a week since I wrote my last entry here?

Where does the time go?

Oh well...

Last Thursday(11th October)I'll admit to being a bit lazy and perhaps leaving it a little on the late side to get ready for another of the theatre shows that I had booked earlier in the year. At the time they seemed so far away but they come around.

So I was reasonably quick at getting dressed, washed and shaved but though I normally can find my tickets in seconds, I could not find it and that meant it was a rush in the end. I put a small backpack together with something to snack on and drink and was out the door.

I managed to arrive at the bus stop just as a bus had stopped there but the worry was that it would leave before I got on but it was slightly early so it worked out fine. It arrived in the neighbouring town in good time and I managed to get to the theatre with five minutes to spare. The finest that I have cut it.

Ken has a reputation of over running so I only purchased a single bus ticket as it was likely that I would miss the last bus home and I'd rather put the money for the return journey home to the taxi.

Well, the show commenced at 19.30pm. Ken came on right at the start of the evening with no warm up act. And 99% of his act was new and I had never heard before.We had two other acts sharing the night with him(variety)a vocalist who could also play a piano, guitar and flute. Later on in the second half a magician who magicked birds out of nowhere and made them disappear.

Even allowing for these two acts and the interval the show lasted five hours and Ken did four hours on his own. He was dressed immaculately. And what a memory. I couldn't do anything near what he did. And to think he was doing it all again the following night.

He really is one of the last of our great comedians/performers and his love of comedy comes through. Remarkably, he celebrates his eight sixth birthday in November. This tour started in August and finishes in December by which time he will have done 32 shows which  I think is remarkable(and he already has dates booked for 2013)one in June so obviously no intention of giving up.

He was given a standing ovation and I have seen very few performers given that mark of respect.

So when we came out of the theatre at Midnight thirty we were all so happy. I had forgotten my troubles for a number of hours and shared social contact with others even if I did not talk to anyone. Also I was lovely and cosy. The heat I used to have when home. We came out to a really heavy rainstorm. I had to get up to the town centre where I expected there would be a taxi at the rank.

I found none and no advertised telephone numbers, no clubs open where I could ask for help or really stay dry and warm. Luckily, I had taken my mobile phone and after some taxi companies not answering I found one still offering a service through the night which had to come from my town. So it arrived around 01.20am(I had to take cover under a bus shelter virtually alone)and got home at almost 2am so it was a long night but well worth it and a rare occasion.

There was no way I was coming home early and missing such a treat and losing 90 minutes. The last bus leaves at 23.15 and I would have had to add the time it takes to get to the bus stop. But the couple next to me did leave after the second half. A pity as I know they were enjoying it.

So the next show takes place on October 28th at another town/venue but I don't expect this will over run and though the last bus leaves at 22.38 now instead of 22.55 I should still be able to catch it but the one before leaves an hour earlier so unless the concert is very short I will have to hang around in the bus station a little while. That concert stars the sixties pop group "The Searchers" but on further investigation there is original member but the remainder are well known in the business, It still should be a great night.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gildy,
Ken Dodd did a show in Leamington Spa quite a few years ago. By midnight he was still in full flow and it is reputed that the house manager came on stage and gave him the keys to lock up when he finished.

Doddy is still topical and worth every penny. Apparently if he feels he is getting good feedback from an audience he just carries on.

Regards
Judith
aka Magenpie

15 October 2012 at 15:59  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

How lovely to hear from you again.
Hope that you are ok...and thank you for the Ken Dodd story.

15 October 2012 at 18:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't know how happy it makes me to hear how happy you are! :o)

Glad you had a wonderful time and that he put on a great show!

Jan

26 October 2012 at 20:05  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

He is remarkable...

It was a great night and I am glad that I saw him again...

26 October 2012 at 21:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home