My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, October 08, 2012

I Know That They Have To Make A Profit But...

As I need public transport more than ever on cost grounds as income gets worse...the new bus timetables have been announced.

Where I was on Saturday, if I now go the theatre, I will have one bus that will get me home late and instead of leaving at 22.55 it will leave 22.37 so they have brought it forward 18 minutes but they then have added another at 23.33 but it only stays within the city boundaries.

Don't know how this will affect those who use that city for a night out in the local restaurants and pubs/clubs...that extra 18 minutes could make all the difference to the people and may affect local businesses. They probably would have been better leaving it at 22.55. I'm not sure how bringing it forward for that amount time improves the service.

The other town I go to seems unaffected thank heavens as depending on when the show ends I have two services to choose from and that gives me two buses possibly three...22.15(pushing it)22.45 and 23.15.

Or as weekends are the busiest times for using public transport they could cut services during the week and offer more of a service at weekends...

I guess I have been reasonably lucky all things considered. I do know some people who need these last buses to get them to work if they work through the night so I bet they will breathe a sigh of relief.

Looking at some other routes that I may try just for variety and towns I have never been to some stop as early as teatime but the trick would appear to be if you want to travel later or stay longer you need to catch a bus to a terminus and then change to another service.

They don't make easy though...

4 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Unfortunately in the U.K transport systems are run for the benefit of the company owners/shareholders and not for the public.

8 October 2012 at 15:20  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Paul,
I did not want to make it sound as though I expect a service to fit in with me but I think that they could consider the social side of things more.

Putting the cost of fares to one side...the public probably avoid using the buses because they are infrequent and then because passengers are fewer the bus company runs fewer buses.

But just maybe they could try the opposite idea and see if by increasing the service passenger numbers might go up.

Having said that if I had not managed to afford these recent teatre trips I have no reason to go out on my own and there lies the problem.

There is no point travelling to a neighbouring town to go into a pub on my own.

The Theatre is a communial thing that you share with others even if on your own.

8 October 2012 at 16:00  
Blogger Paul said...

Hi Gildy,

I didn't read your comment that way, I agree with your points.

14 October 2012 at 17:04  
Anonymous Ian Young said...

That is frustrating Gildy. We're lucky here in London as we have a very good late night bus service

16 October 2012 at 10:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home