My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Initially It's More Expensive I Suppose And Does Take Time...

For readers from abroad we have a couple of people who have kind of become TV favourites. They even do appearances at theatres and events connected with food. I'm not really sure that they had a career in cookery but that is what has happened.

As they look like a couple of ordinary "Blokes" enjoy good, wholesome, comfort food, come across as the kind of guys that would talk to anyone, have long hair and beards, wear leathers and ride motorbikes they and their programmes are known as "The Hairy Bikers!" And they are popular with quite a sizable proportion of the British population.

After a number of years someone has decided they were putting on weight and "Hey lets make a series about trying to lose weight and that we can still eat the food we enjoy or find alternatives that give the same joy but are less in calorific value and may by chance also be healthier."

Right...that's the background!

Really the obvious answer is I am afraid "Eat Less!" and where possible do "A little exercise!"

To some of us we have the disadvantage that we haven't the time to spend time cooking from scratch(though with planning and some preparation and cheating)time can be clawed back. Also, if you watch less TV, get family members involved in helping(If you have any)its possible. And of course there are short cuts you can take.

But when you can pick up four individual chicken and vegetable pies for £2.00 by a well respected brand...you feel like saying "Why would you!" What's it going to cost to buy the ingredients and make the pastry?(Individual pies are 65p)Pop a few potatoes on(or perhaps mashed potato and you have a reasonable meal. Cooked in approx 25-30mins. All you do is bung everything in the oven.

To be honest I personally don't have a problem with that. And thankfully I keep my weight reasonably maintained.

However, I could be tempted to have a go at doing my own. And in the Hairy Bikers recipe there are two ways of looking at it...They did a meat pie that is approx 350 calories rather than approx double that. That means you can reduce your daily calorie intake(if you need to lose weight)or you can still eat more meals so enjoy your food as you always did. As you have all those calories to use up.

It would appear that it's the pastry, though lovely, that adds all the extra calories so they've found a way around the problem...

Well, if you portion your ingredients(meat could minced or diced and you decide what)they added some potato, frozen vegetables and stock. Looking at it that way perhaps it isn't much more expensive.

How did they get around the pastry problem? They used a Pizza base mix. And the overall opinion seems to have been positive.

I told you that I do love food and the amount of recipes and food information on the internet is amazing(and I have some wonderful books too)

I must say it again, if you love food but cannot justify paying the price many cook books cost, do use charity shops more.

Anyhow...here's a link to the recipe for their meat pie...

I still think there will be times where you cannot make your own food cheaper than what's available in the shops so it comes down to income and time management.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home