My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Every time I See A Programme Like This...

I become a little more scared. On a very low income I can just about manage to eat by choosing what I buy carefully, eating less, having smaller portions, trying to bulk out the meals by using things like lentils, splitting items like mince so you get three or four meals out of one tray, freezing it and making it last.

Eating more cereal, yes having soup, baked beans etc...sometimes eating one course rather than two.

But as I have said elsewhere many are starting to struggle who are working. So what is it going to be like when the real austere measures kick in and if those working are at the end of their tether what are those who to depend on the State going to do?

I can feed myself very frugally. Eat less, eat meals that require no cooking(salads, sandwiches)I can thanks to using a microwave, halogen oven, George Forman Grill, toaster, slow cooker, steamer cook quickly and save on energy. If I have to I can give up my little bit of entertainment and luxury(The phone, tv and internet)but if I do, as I will not be able to go out, my only pleasure will be a radio.

I can keep cutting back on the central heating and electric and eventually stop using either altogether by putting more cheap charity shop clothes on, diving under the bedclothes, leaving lights off. Just having an odd wash and one quick wash of clothes/bedclothes.

But what a life in a so called well advanced country in the Western world. And in the 21st Century. I don't mind being frugal and thrifty but when as for many it is a case of being warm or feeding yourself and you have to decide which takes priority...and unfortunately what kills most household budgets is...the cost of keeping a roof over your head(rent, council tax and for many the new charge coming in of a bedroom tax)Rents increase, next year there is a new way of collecting CT, how much help you will be given. So far lots of unknowns and many of the changes are not in the public domain.

Even if you use the figures of today, they will be out of date by the time the new financial year begins in April 2013. A rough estimate...if you were paying full rent, CT and bedroom tax, utility bills and food and you had £200 a week...even watching every penny, you would have no spare change. And approx 75% would be the cost of keeping the roof over your head and 25% to do everything else(food, utility and a bit of entertainment, buying clothes, shoes etc...)Hope that what you buy will last years and not wear out.

It is also obvious that the econonmy is still working on the assumption that most people are earning the average wage of £250 a week. I never earned that, I'm sure my parents never did and I don't know anyone who ever has unless I include my Dr and Dentist.

Most are on low or minimum wages.

You just have to hope that it will not be as bad as we fear.

Anyhow the link to this programme should work if you live in the UK and it is available for approx 28 days...The second programme is available for 21 days...

Watch it if you get the chance...its depressing viewing I am afraid...

Tonight - Britain's Hunger Shame.

Tonight - Divided Britain

11 Comments:

Blogger crl2amb said...

Ant

I am re reading the book by Polly Toynbee written in 2003.

The minimum wage then was £4.10 and nine years later it is £6.08!

When you think of the rise in inflation it is no wonder everyone is sinking.

Now when it comes to the small business man you can see that he may have a problem paying more, but most of these workers come from agencies who pay the worker £6.08 but charge the companies up to £20.00 or more per hours. When you think places like the NHS operate this way, well.............!

We do not live in a democracy it is a corporate-ocracy.

The programme about food banks was very depressing. Then I saw on the news that parts of Phillipines submerged in water - it is hard to have any kind of optimism for the future of the world and its poor.

Cx

11 August 2012 at 13:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

So we've gained £1.98 but then food, utility bills, rent, council tax, bedroom tax, petrol and much more has increased and the government wants more from us...

I'll admit I was protected from all this when Mum was alive but she would be shocked by the changes in my life and what's coming.

Mum was not really political but even in her last days she used to worry about the future and the way the country was going and used to ask how one man could be so nasty but of course it isn't just one person, there is a little clique and I reckon there are another four.

But they think there will be a reshuffle soon but if these are replaced but carry on with the same policies we're no better off.

12 August 2012 at 05:05  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

He's holding another world meeting again today for all the so called experts about solving hunger around the world.

Yet puts money into the Olympics, not forgetting the problems in our own country(which I know are not as bad as abroad)

However, poverty and hunger are relevent to the society that you belong and by our standards we are struggling.

So do something to help your own David...sorry I forgot you already have...Kind of ironic...

12 August 2012 at 05:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is getting terribly depressing ) : Couldn't you think of something cheerful to write about ? Like sitting in your garden listening to bird song, or talking to a friendly person in your town ?

12 August 2012 at 17:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Most people are indoors and don't go out. I did go out to a neighbouring town and did some shopping earlier today. The weather is poor not good enough for sitting out.

Things are depressing or will be soon for many, The Olympics have been a diversion for a couple of weeks.

I get a lot of pleasure from simple things like music...the problems are not of many of our doing and I do wonder if I can keep a roof over my head if my income drops dastically which I suspect it will in the future...

If it takes a while to go pearshaped, lets hope it doesn't I have my theatre trips paid for and lined up(some for next year)that will get me out and they are all music based or comedy.

And I may still attempt to have a coach trip or two...next year this may not be possible but lets just deal with now...

12 August 2012 at 18:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But you have already said what you have bought today, and that wouldn't be a small bill. Why starve yourself now when you have such a vast store cupboard. I just don't understand your mentality!

You've been spending money like water this last few weeks......yet you don't have any!

13 August 2012 at 00:41  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

No, whilst I am able I am putting it to good use...I'm not starving and when I eat, I eat well...

I'm not alone in planning for the future, there are more of us than many realise.

13 August 2012 at 00:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know you'll never be without a roof over your head. If keeping a three bedroom house going worries you so much, why not start making plans to move somewhere smaller ?

13 August 2012 at 00:54  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I can work on a very tight budget and as long as I can absorb the increase in the CT and bedroom tax, I will be fine. If things stayed as today, I am fine.

And I am not depressed. Honest!

It's the unknowns. If I had been 65 I'd have been left alone but it's because retirement age has been put back and I am classed as "Working Age"

Having said that many who retired have had to return to work because they are struggling financially.

It's one thing to do voluntary work because you want to and get the reward of helping others and have company.

I think things always looks worse written down.

Also, views can change from hour to hour, day to day...

You may notice that I am getting back to writing down my recipes again and am taking an interest in things more as time passes by.

13 August 2012 at 01:09  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I can work on a very tight budget and as long as I can absorb the increase in the CT and bedroom tax, I will be fine. If things stayed as today, I am fine.

And I am not depressed. Honest!

It's the unknowns. If I had been 65 I'd have been left alone but it's because retirement age has been put back and I am classed as "Working Age"

Having said that many who retired have had to return to work because they are struggling financially.

It's one thing to do voluntary work because you want to and get the reward of helping others and have company.

I think things always looks worse written down.

Also, views can change from hour to hour, day to day...

You may notice that I am getting back to writing down my recipes again and am taking an interest in things more as time passes by.

13 August 2012 at 01:09  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

And on Radio 5 they are reflecting on peoples memories and reflections of the Olympics and I'm still listening...

13 August 2012 at 01:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home