My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

I Did Settle Down...

I did go out for an hour or so but though the plan was to walk, I had to concede and have a taxi bring me home...

It was too hot to do much but I must do something about that today...I did have something to eat, kept it simple, new potatoes,, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, corned beef and buttered bread.

I slept well too.

Hey, here's something...been looking at the Aldi stores around the world...they seem to have a different reputation elsewhere...here its a basic selling point that they offer value for money and are often cheaper than the other stores but from what I see, elsewhere that conception is not the same and some goods are similar in price or more expensive compared to other well known supermarkets in the UK and perhaps in the local retail scene in other countries...

Well, I'm having a ride out to an Aldi store later this morning and absorbing the cost of a taxi ride(no choice about that)lets hope it is isn't too long before the one on my town opens and I am not disappointed in it.

This could be my last big shop for some time but at least I am stocked up...I am not alone regarding seeing income reduce, struggling on less and being worried about the future. I think many sections of society are being touched and to see me as the exception to  the rule, I am anything but. And for most the main cost and most of the income is eaten up on basic costs(rent, electric, gas, council tax, bedroom tax, travel to and from work if you have a job, possibly the cost of keeping a car on the road, food)and it's difficult to cut back on most of those.

You know that you are in trouble when those who sell gas and electric(when you talk to the call centre staff)admit they are struggling to pay their gas and electric bills and to stay warm do many of the things I do(wearing warm clothes, wrapping themselves in blankets and fleeces, diving under the bedclothes, using hot water bottles etc...)

As for having my wobbly moments, I have been told to expect them even if I am still here in twenty years time but hopefully you find away through them and they become less so really I think I am doing quite well all things considered.

We're all in this together...

They say today will be the hottest day of the year so far but today as I write this it is dull and the sky is colourless. The weather experts say that my area will be having considerable rain by mid morning...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Gildy!

Just checkin' in. Glad your hangin' in there sounds like normal ups and downs which is a good thing. :o)

We've been hovering around 106-109F this last week. It was only 104F today so...yay! :oP)

Olympics were great. Good job! Sorry they came at such a horrible time financially. But y'all rose to the occasion as always. Hopefully they'll help or at least not make things too much worse. :o/

We're in good shape for the shape we're in over here. The normal mess. Asthma's been bad with the heat, but nothing I can't handle so far.

You been listening to anything good recently? It's been kinda slow program-wise for me. Nothing too spectacular.

Anyhoo, just wanted to see how you're doin'.

Talk soon,
Jan :o)

19 August 2012 at 11:59  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hey Jan,
Been thinking about you...

We've got some humid, hot sticky weather at present but in the North where we have the rain too but it isn't cooling things down...

Lots of radio listening going on...and I'm getting behind with editing, logging everything and burning it...

I'll never hear what I already have.


Another John Wilson concert coming up at the Proms on August 27th 7.30pm here :-)

Just treated myself to a watch...it's a great big thing but at least as my eyes get worse I can see it and it only cost me about £7.

I have purchased a new slow cooker, the other has hardly been used but it's big...this one is half the size and may be better for a single person and the power consumption is 80 watts less...

My food store is even larger just needs some organising again...

Glad that you enjoyed the Olympics even though the NBC coverage has been criticised...

If you get chance tell me if you have access to the Aldi stores in the US and what you make of them...you may not have one near you of course "America's a big place!"

19 August 2012 at 14:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy you've got lots to listen to. I'm like you...my rainy day folder his huge! :o)

There are a few Elton John programs on R2 next week that I'm looking forward to, especially the Bernie Taupin one. So there's that.

Your concert sounds like so much fun! Really something to look forward to. I hope you write a review here afterward. :o)

I know what you mean about the eyes getting worse...I keep insisting I just need longer arms. :oP

I don't have a slow cooker (we usually call the Crock Pots here...I think it maybe a brand name). I don't think they're very expensive...not sure why I've never bought one.

I think that organizing thing is a never-ending story, Gildy. Sorta like doin' the dishes. :oP

OMG the NBC coverage of the Olympics was horrible. The actual coverage was fine but what we got to watch on broadcast television was abysmal. Apparently only folks who can afford cable are worthy of watching all the events. I'm sending a strongly worded letter! That'll teach 'em. :o)

I've never heard of Aldi, which doesn't mean we don't have them (we ARE a big place). A quick look on Wiki says we do have them here in the States and that they also own Trader Joe's which we do have here in town.

We do have a Grocery Outlet which sounds like it might be similar. Ever hear of it?

Talk soon,
Jan

20 August 2012 at 08:34  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks Jan,
That's right about the Slow Cookers. They are a bit like a casserole dish but instead of going in the oven you are heating the pot in it's own container. They use so little power(about the same as a light bulb)

http://www.slowcookerrecipes.org.uk/cooking-with-slowcookers.htm

The one I use is great but I saw a smaller one yesterday so being single I thought that may be better for me as it may not use so much power and take smaller portions. I'll still keep the other one.

Over here they are so cheap a large one might cost £12 and my new one cost under £10.

That concert is with the same conductor and orchestra who did the concert of My Fair Lady! I think he's doing Broadway shows this time.

I'll look up Trader Joe and the Grocery Outlet...

20 August 2012 at 10:02  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks Jan,
That's right about the Slow Cookers. They are a bit like a casserole dish but instead of going in the oven you are heating the pot in it's own container. They use so little power(about the same as a light bulb)

http://www.slowcookerrecipes.org.uk/cooking-with-slowcookers.htm

The one I use is great but I saw a smaller one yesterday so being single I thought that may be better for me as it may not use so much power and take smaller portions. I'll still keep the other one.

Over here they are so cheap a large one might cost £12 and my new one cost under £10.

That concert is with the same conductor and orchestra who did the concert of My Fair Lady! I think he's doing Broadway shows this time.

I'll look up Trader Joe and the Grocery Outlet...

20 August 2012 at 10:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home