My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Sadly, It's Going To Happen...

But we've lost another great at a relatively young age. By all accounts he was another who had a short illness but nothing to suggest he would pass away...Marvin Hamlisch

According to the radio he was working on a new movie about the flamboyant entertainer Liberace and was the new conductor of an orchestra so people were looking forward to a series of concerts.

As has been said life can change so quickly and often with little warning.

I know much of his music but probably have heard many of his compositions and not realised.

I know many years ago he used to appear a lot on British TV usually on chat shows and amuse as he had a friendly open manner about him and he tell anecdotes, play the piano etc...often coming across like another great of the song writing world Sammy Cahn.

It's funny I saw with Mum perhaps 20+ years ago a big production of one of his most popular and award winning productions "A Chorus Line" and we all  remember the song "One" but to be honest we were bored with it and nearly walked out and I cannot think of another time I have felt that way in a concert, play, musical or film.

I was trying to think if I knew any other songs from that musical..."I Can Do That!" "I Hope I Get It!"
"What I Did For Love!""Nothing!" So out of ten songs that's five.

A lot of the time I know the songs of musicals more when sung by a singer and taken out of a show. But no one could say that he wasn't a wonderful tune smith and I am sure that he'll be remembered fondly and missed greatly. But at least he has left his mark on the world with his works and a legacy...

And again Hamlisch actually wrote the music, sometimes the people we know may be musicians but they turn out to be the lyricist and then we get into who is more important. Though in a perfect partnership they compliment each other.

RIP.

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

I remember when Marvin Hamlisch first appeared on British TV he had this 'trick' of being able to compose a melody and lyrics based on a suggestion from the audience. It was a good way of introducing a relatively unknown young composer to a wider audience.

8 August 2012 at 13:00  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Paul,
I'm glad that you verified that memory of Marvin, I thought that he did but wasn't sure...

I know Sammy Cahn used to do something similar, we don't seem to hsve such performers these days, or there is not such an outlet any more to see or hear them.

I'm not sure if there was they would still appear.

8 August 2012 at 16:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home