My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, August 08, 2012

You Must Eat Gildy...

That's what a few people have said when I have posted how little I have been eating some days but I always eat well or try to and have variety. But it would appear that smaller portions and restricting calories to some extent is starting to show positive health signs. It appears during times of great hardship when people were poor or food was not as abundant life expectancy actually increased.

There is some research being carried out which means you eat one meal of 600 calories one day and then eat whatever you like the next day. A documentary has been aired here where the presenter decided to do two days of fasting and eating more on the other five days.

He has lost but maintained weight but has seen dramatic reductions in all the things that can harm you from glucose, cholesterol etc...even the reduction  of seven types of cancer so perhaps what I have been doing unknowingly has not harmed me but probably done me some good.

So just maybe I'll carry on as I have been or might do it on a more official footing. So that's 600 calories say each day(mon/tues)wed to sun approx 2,000 calories daily.

5 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Not sure that 600 one day and anything the next day is a good thing...HOWEVER, it is known that just just by halving your calorie intake you an increase your life expectancy. Not sure you want to be on a permanent 'diet' (I wouldn't last a week)but it does work apparently.

It says HERE they'll be a documentary this week, is it the one you mean?

9 August 2012 at 18:12  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hi Span...

That's the one...Nice to see you...You OK?

I'll get back to posting my meals again...

In a way as I don't stick to regular times to eat, I am already doing a kind of fast and feed routine...

The presenter does two days fast/5 days eat. If you follow the plan the US University suggests it's alternate days...

The fact that you mentioned the programme in a US newspaper, does that mean you are Stateside at present?

10 August 2012 at 04:48  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Fine thanks, hope you are too.

No, not in US but I will be in a week or so. Just looked for the news (my eldest son is back from Australia and he mentioned the fact (which I doubted!) so when I read your post I thought it worth checking!

10 August 2012 at 11:15  
Blogger crl2amb said...

Seems strange to want to increase your life expectency with all the doom and gloom around. Far better to eat drink and be merry!

11 August 2012 at 00:50  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Carol,
You may have something there, if its going to get worse and everything is pointing that way what are we actually getting out of being around for a long time?

As has been suggested before more people living longer seems to suggest more cases of dementia.

More needing care in the home or being put in home(I really dread that idea)

More of us living in poverty. I may knock this on the head and just enjoy what I can whilst I can.

Remember the documentaries about the tests to see if people should get benefits if they are ill, I hear that ITV had a documentary in the Tonight series about Food banks, it will be depressing viewing but I am going to try and watch it now...

11 August 2012 at 03:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home