My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, July 05, 2012

Will I Stop Spending?

Yes, especially when I run out of money or my budget becomes tighter.

However today I remembered the marmalade and...potato peeler(I had forgotten that yesterday too)

I wanted some storage boxes preferably with lids but they had some at half price in the supermarket(£3 each)and if you purchased two they were £5 so I went for them. I didn't want to buy others which were approx £9 and more.

So I am going to see how I can arrange my food stock room and make it tidy, store similar items together and draw up a list of what I have and the dates. Then I know what's what!
I saved £3.50 on each crate. If I buy more,  I will have double the amount, for what I have paid. They are 30L capacity...

If it works out, I'll get some more. Once I have them, I won't have to buy them again...so I'll sort that out in the next day or so...having had another look a the containers, they don't need lids as they can be stacked and the plastic is quite clear so I will be able to see what's in them.

Whilst I can I have treat myself to some Rainbow Trout for tomorrow so I'll make the effort to do something nice with it!

I awoke at 7.10am and had a panic on as I knew I had to ready in case the ambulance arrived at 8am(It did, well around 8.10am)I got dressed and shaved asap. My consultant was very happy with my kidney function and blood tests. So at least that was something to be thankful for.

When we came out of the hospital the rain had returned(as bad as ever)and the ambulance driver told us that we are in for at least three days of the same and that there could be power cuts power cuts as the thunder and lightening over Durham city was exceptionally bad. All the way home, it was coming down torrentially.


I have the other crates  now, so just have to do the actual work. Now someone said to me, if the electric or gas goes off how will you have a hot meal/drink, it's alright having food in your store. So the answer was get a camping stove.

There was a good buy on E-bay(£19 no P&P and 8 free gas canisters)but I have misplaced my details to go on the site and my Paypal account so I popped into the local Argos and managed to get a decent(good enough for me)stove for £14.99 and four canisters for £9.99 so that's a total of approx £25(so I've paid £6 more and done myself out of four canisters)but at least I have one. If it never gets used so be it. A canister can last up to seventy five minutes and can boil a litre of water in approx 5 mins so I don't think that's bad...

Smiley
In a way what I saved on the crates has paid for the stove and canisters. And the ambulance run this morning paid for my shopping earlier in the day so it's not worked out too bad...and since 2pm the weather hasn't been bad...sunshine and no rain...

3 Comments:

Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Just how many crates do I need. I haven't as much as I thought in my store but the shape and capacity of the crates may meant I will have to think about buying two more. We'll see.

Now that the shelves are empty I may be able to put all my cereals there and all will be ok.

I'm really getting somewhere at last!

5 July 2012 at 23:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've always kept a camping gas stove since we lived in a part of Britain that had frequent power cuts !

A radio with batteries & some candles or a torch are a good idea as well.

6 July 2012 at 01:09  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Excellent idea...have some tealights, candles, have a torch but need batteries for it and some for the radio/radio's(analogue or DAB)

Have some matches...


Good suggestion :-)

The meals would be simple but hot(soup, beans etc...)would be nice and hot food and drinks can keep you warm. I could drink cold bottled water/fruit juice but I could heat up some for tea or coffee.

I thought it seemed a reasonable bargain and as I'd never considered one before...once purchased...

6 July 2012 at 01:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home