My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Eric Sykes...

Sad to see that one of my favourite comedians and writers has passed away. I know it's a coincidence but whilst listening to a documentary about Hattie Jacques only last night, who appeared with him in many tv programmes playing his sister, it crossed my mind how many of those Mum and myself  like have left us and will in the near future and his name was at the forefront of my mind and then I hear that he has passed away. 

At least he had some family around him, he really does seem to have been a genuinely nice guy. I hope(and I am sure most of us do)that I pass peacefully in my own surroundings and not in a home or a hospital having seen what it's like. Selfish I know.*


Too much good stuff and a varied career to list here but a quick article of his life is here. When on holiday in Bournemouth for our annually holiday(I think that was for approx 30 years in my case) we were fortunate that every top tv or performer appeared for the Summer season and the prices were pretty good too for the entertainment being served up. It might be a variety show(there would be at least two at The Pavilion and The Winter Gardens. 


A farce on the pier theatre. Later on the International Centre was built and there would be a concert or show there and another venue opened. So plenty of choice. It was a who's who of top entertainment probably helped by Bournemouth being so close to London.


The cinemas were some of the first to convert so there was more than one film to choose from. But again, they always showed the top Blockbuster films of the time so you could nearly always guarantee that the latest Carry On comedy or Bond movie would be showing. 


I know when I was about one year's old Mum saw South Pacific and in the early 60's The Sound Of Music which we all saw.

There was an ice rink and they even had an ice show nightly.


The Winter Gardens closed many years ago(Lack of an audience, too much to bring up to modern standards, I don't know)Another of those theatres turned into some kind of centre where they hold religious services and meetings.


But when that theatre was being used for the reason it was intended I saw Eric Sykes...twice. Once in a run of the long running West End comedy Big Bad Mouse with Jimmy Edwards and another time which I guess an adaptation of some of his tv scripts and he had in the cast with him Hattie Jacques and Derek Guyler. Wonderful!
*Not quite as originally written but I hope that's close enough for Anon(who in the comments section accused me of removing part of the post which I did not do...honest!)

You can listen or download his appearance on Desert Island Discs here.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were talking about Eric Sykes and you turn it to yourself again. A lot of us are on our own, and try to keep those thoughts at the back of our mind. We all dread going into a home and we all want to die peacefully in our sleep, but life isn't like that. The ones who do die in that way are very lucky. I'll stop right there because I might be tempted to say too much.

Live for today and a day at a time!

4 July 2012 at 13:09  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Anon,
I'll admit on this occasion I did but it looks worse written down. I haven't thought of it before or since.

Hopefully it's many years away :-)

I am managing to put such thoughts where they should be most of the time and I go no further than the day I am live living.

I am becoming stronger and more positive as the days go by.

I'm eating better and as you know I have started to watch an odd tv show here and there which I wasn't.

And that includes comedy, I am able to smile again.

If tomorrow goes ok, that will be fantastic!

I did say in my post, my comment would be seen by some as being selfish...we'd all like that but few do...they are natural feelings.

4 July 2012 at 13:46  
Anonymous VQ said...

A blog is an excellent way of getting things off one's chest.
All the more important to somebody who lives alone.
Those who don't want to read it, don't have to.

Eric Sykes seemed a genuinely 'nice chap'. I hope he slipped away without suffering.
A timely reminder that we should be doing things that we really want to do and which will give us some enjoyment.

Personally, I'm off to darkest Surrey today, to cat-sit for my son while he goes off to France for a week. Good to know that I still have some uses!

4 July 2012 at 14:03  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

You'll be Carol's neck of the woods then. Hopefully another change of scenery and the weather may kinder this time.

Not so far to travel.

That's exactly right VQ. That is probably the best reason for having a blog. I cannot see much difference to those who write a book and often put down some very personal and painful thoughts.

And of late my postings have been widening out and not just been about me. Another good sign.

4 July 2012 at 14:19  
Anonymous Tony Payne said...

I remember many moons ago going with my Mum to see Big Bad Mouse with Jimmie Edwards in Bournemouth, and I can't remember if it was with Brian Rix or Eric Sykes, or if it was at the Bournemouth Pavilion where I ended up working several years later.

Eric was a funny man, and I loved his shows. he will be missed, they don't make them like that any more.

4 July 2012 at 15:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you For deleting the part I was commenting on. Any newcomers will wonder what I was talking about. It would have been fairer if you'd mentioned that you'd edited a negative comment.

4 July 2012 at 17:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Anon, I don't know where that's disappeared to, I did not delete it and just added some more text, I'll try and put it back into the post...how fair is that?

If I was an unfair person would I leave all the negative comments that are left on my blog. Many would delete them and restrict who can read it.

Also, some people who leave comments do now leave a name which helps everyone know who is who.

That would be fair don't you think?

4 July 2012 at 18:48  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Sorting that out for you has messed up the look of the post and I cannot fix the problem but hopefully you're happy now...

4 July 2012 at 19:01  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thank you Tony, A lovely memory. If it was Bournemouth, it was Jimmy and it will be at least 30 years ago.

You are so lucky if you worked at the Pavilion. If things had been different we always wanted to move to and live in the Bournemouth area, One day I'd love to return and see the old familar places and see what's changed.

The list of performers I saw and those I have forgotten...We also saw the production from the West End of Dad's Army...

It's been so long since I visited a resort, I don't know if they do "Summer Shows" any more and who they could use to attract an audience.

Funny you should mention Brian Rix. I think I saw him in one of his final stage farces so that must go back even further but again it was a tour and I saw him at the Darlington Civic Theatre.

Sadly, I don't remember in what.

As we all know he went into some very worthwhile work away from the theatre working with Mencap(I believe)

4 July 2012 at 21:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home