My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, June 18, 2012

I Know That It's Just Coincidence But...

I bought some cereal today(I know another one)and guess what the date on the packet was? My Mum's birthday 21st February.

There is so much music I could associate with Mum, I've been recording some shows on the net over night(at present I am not using my allowance up)and so catching up on radio missed during the day is a good idea...I leave the computer recording overnight.

One song played last night was Jack Jones' version of "Time AfterTime" not the Cyndi Lauper song of the same name.

What Lovely lyrics it has...

Ella Fitzgerald - Time After Time

And I have no idea where the letter is(It may turn up one day)but not long after my Father got on with Mum, he was away somewhere and he wrote what I guess was a love letter because he ended by quoting this song.

I was accused of not being very sensitive a while back, I am touched by so much music from so many periods of time...and some is very sentimental.

Another song that was played last night was performed by Nelson Eddy and is called "When I Grow To Old To Dream" I can remember us singing it in the past. They really do tug at the heartstrings...It sounds as though it should come from Victorian times but was featured in a 1935 from a film "The Night Is Young" 

Just found this version which Mum nor myself have heard before as Mum liked Cliff Richard I bet she would have enjoyed this...In this You Tube video two versions have been stiched together. The second  is by Phil Coulter who seems to do a lot of these sentimental songs(I have one where he does an instrumental version of "Just A Song at Twilight")

With quality songs it's very difficult to spoil them however you treat them.

Cliff Richard -When I Grow Too Old To Dream

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anthony, I would drown in all that slush, to be honest with you. However, Chacun a son gout!

Nick

19 June 2012 at 19:09  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thankfully Nick I can appreciate most music and I am starting to listen to more classical music again but some of that can be very sentimental.

And when the Last Night Of The Proms comes around again, The Remembrance service at the Royal Albert Hall or the march to the Cenotaph and they play Nimrod and all those, I'll have to see how I am...

I have a CD to transfer to the PC of the Chelsea Pensioners and they are doing songs like Jerusalem, I know it will tug at my heartstrings because Mum sung it so strong and clearly and always told me the story of how as young child she was picked as part of a school choir and sang it at the town hall and how proud her parents were watching her.

And she never forgot how she was taught to sing it after all these years.

19 June 2012 at 20:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home