My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Jerusalem...

As I lay on my bed half asleep the music from another room wafted my way that I was recording, the song was Jerusalem which is always very moving and emotive. More so for me as Mum used to sing that at the top of her voice and as clear as bell, bless her!

The other story that associates Mum with this song is one she often told me but I don't remember all the details...when very young a few children were chosen to sing in the town hall from a local school, not sure if  it was a concert or a competition of some kind. Mum was one of  them. I am sure that Mum said her parents bought her a new dress and that her parents were sat in the audience, very proud of her.

Two songs were sung on the occasion, Jerusalem(Mum never forgot how she was told to sing it)and a kind of traditional Northern song called "Div ye ken *Elsie Marley, honey?" She was still able to sing that too.

That's when I cannot help but feel both reflective and sad...

*Elsie Marley

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home