My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Highlight Of My Day...

A walk around the local supermarket...I forgot to see if they had any trainers but I only got a taxi one way so that wasn't too bad...and tomorrow if I can avoid using a taxi when I go to the shoe shop what I save will pay half of the cost of the trainers...If I can avoid another day where I use the taxi that's my trainers paid for...

I spent quite a bit tonight but I have more items for my store cupboard...when I see some of the food stores others have mine looks like nothing...then again there is only myself, I assume the larger "Over the top" food stores have to feed a couple of families...or perhaps they are part of a cooperative and they share  what is bought with neighbours/friends/family. I wish that I could use a cash and carry...now that's where you really save.

When I came home today from the CAB, I had cereal, fruit and milk. Tonight it's a pizza. I think it's too big so I am going to halve it, put the other half in the freezer. I have never ever bought what could be said to be a traditional platter type pizza before.

I may just have some bread with it. It only takes 5-9 minutes to cook a full one so perhaps a little less time for half a one.

I bought some more belly pork, some more cooked chicken thighs(10 for £3)I have discovered that I can heat them up in a microwave so I don't have to eat them cold. I have purchased some more tinned items for the store like plum tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, new potatoes, cereal, orange juice, small bottles of water but I have done that to get the bottles(as I saw something on the internet)where you could make some fruit smoothies up, put them in the fridge using these bottles ready to drink)

I purchased a new energy saving bulb for the landing, some shaving gel, a found some living leaves lettuce which you cut as you need them(Buy one, get one free)so that was like getting them for 50p each rather £1 and I repurchased some cauliflower cheese. However, I looked at some the jacket potatoes with cheese and thought I can do my own as cheap or better than what they are selling them in the shops...

I was looking at some of the recipe books but though I probably could work out the portions so many never give any guide what measurements to use if you are single and many are aimed at serving 4-6 people but with the amount of homes where only one person lives it would be great if they gave some of that information alongside the larger portions...

I don't think I'll buying any more cookery books, if anything I may return some to the charity shops because even if I still try to do some interesting meals and vary the ingredients they are still quite basic...

I think a book or a TV series for one or a couple could be quite popular.

12 Comments:

Blogger crl2amb said...

Delia Smith did a cookery book - I think it was called "One is fun", thing is Gildy maybe it makes more sense to make four portions and freeze three of them, as you would be using the fuel anyway.


Cx

22 May 2012 at 22:16  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hi Carol,
That's a thought, my freezer is quite small and To get another will just add to the energy costs...I'm still determined to get a halogen oven but which one?

Also, it appears so will allow you to replace a bulb if it fails, some you need to buy a new oven...

22 May 2012 at 22:33  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

If we lived near each other I could could cook/share with you some lovely meals, I really am quite a decent cook...and all my skills are now just being used by me...

22 May 2012 at 22:34  
Blogger crl2amb said...

Yes it would be great Gildy as I think we could have some great conversations too.

Well my Coopers of Storford HO has lasted over four years and is still going strong (hope I'm not jinxing it by saying so) and it only cost £39.99 plus probably a fiver for postage. I am pretty sure it has saved me a lot of money as I hardly ever use the big oven. I only use that once a week for a roast.

If my HO packed up now I would just replace it. I don't think you can get bulbs?

Tonight I did some fish in foil (Aldis, very nice) and on the top rack some potato wedges which I bake first in microwave and then cut up and brown up in the HO.

Very nice indeed with a bit of salad.

Sleep well.

Cx

PS. I know you are no longer a carer (sorry if that sounds harsh) but have you considered getting in touch with some carers associ ation. You may be able to help others by telling your story and or getting and offering support?

You have got to get out and meet some people Anthony. You sound such a nice guy and people need to meet nice people. It is essential for our little worlds to go round.

All in your own good time of course!!

X

22 May 2012 at 22:55  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

You sleep well too Carol,
Funnily enough I've been looking at that particular halogen oven but some of the reviews were not complimentary...

I have £5 voucher towards buying that model and they've also reduced the price if you buy the accessory pack which includes the extension ring and if I buy some of the recipe books it will gone out at around £95 but if I can do all what is suggested it's worth it.

If one has arrived faulty it has been replaced...

Perhaps I should just go for it!

22 May 2012 at 23:02  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Sometimes it's just nice to be around people...I really am so easy going.

22 May 2012 at 23:06  
Blogger crl2amb said...

When it comes to the HO Anthony, I think it is like all electrical items, there is always the odd dodgy one.

Why not just buy the oven itself. I never use the accessories. I think that ring is for when you have a large chicken or something like that?

All I know is I could have saved my money on the accessories.

Cx

23 May 2012 at 08:03  
Anonymous VQ said...

There's a money spinner, Gildy.
Make notes of money savers and how you cope with meals for one.
In these days of austerity, a book like that could be a winner.
You could even find yourself on TV!

23 May 2012 at 09:28  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

One of these days if I get organised that book or something else may become a reality...

There so many halogen ovens at Amazon I'd just get lost...

The new Coopers catelogue that arrived approx 4 days ago says...


Halogen Oven £29.99
Optional Accessory Pack £14.99
Optional Lid Rest £6.99
Cookbook 6.99
Baking Cookbook £ £9.99
Halogen Oven, Accessory Pack And Lid Stand £39.99

If you don't buy the cookbooks and the lid and accessory packs seperate and buy the pack with the oven you save £11.98 compared to buying everything seperately but raise the cost of the oven by £10. I then have a voucher worth £5.

That accessory pack includes an extension ring,10 slice bread toaster rack, perforated steaming tray, grill/fry pan tray.

How do you manage to work out what you can cook in it without the cookbooks Carol?

23 May 2012 at 12:35  
Blogger crl2amb said...

Anthony there are lots of HO cookbooks on Amazon. From £3.59 inc delivery on supersaver.

I honestly don't think you need the accessories. I place the lid on an old padded mat (boot fair 10p) or a folded up t towel.

Are you really going to make toast in it?

Morrisons and possibly other supermarkets sell a basics pizza dish which fits the HO perfectly 89p or thereabouts.

The perforated tray for steaming I suppose you may use but I never have.

Anything you can make in a traditional oven you can usually make in a HO maybe adjusting the time and temperature downwards as cook more quickly. However I prefer things cooked lower heat and longer.

Regarding the perforated tray if you really feel you would want one, just bide your time and something will turn up in the charity shops!

The grill fry pan I am sure the pizza dish I mentioned would suffice. I personally would not fry eggs in mine - that I would use the hob top for.

I have only seen the extension ring in the adverts used when someone has a whacking great chicken or turkey in the HO.

It is good for reheating meals, roast potatos, grilling meat etc.

I have made yorkshires and I think I made scones in it once but as I gain weight so easily I steer clear of that kind of thing. :)

Hope this helps.

Cx

MSE has a thread on the Halogen oven, if you use the forum search you will find it.

23 May 2012 at 15:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might try EBay for your oven, Gildy. You could probably pick one up pretty cheap.

Also, for recipes try online. There are tons of recipes online. I like www.allrecipes.com. It has portion, ingredient and nutritional information and filters. And a virtual recipe box for favorites.

It's a great site.

Jan :o)

3 June 2012 at 10:20  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

We're all sorted Jan but I still have to use it but my auntie says once I do I won't regret it. Then again, I still have to use the combi microwave which a few people have said is also a good buy. My auntie often works between the two.

I'm afraid I am still eating more cold meals at present but not eating as much and going for simple fare.

3 June 2012 at 13:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home