My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Don't Worry I'm Not Turning Into An Alcoholic!

But there was too much booze on offer today at the supermarket for me to say no today and I assume it's to get us in the mood for the Queen's Jubilee and the so call get together's with family and friend's...I'll be alone! I'm not a big drinker and when money gets tighter as it will I may not be able to afford to buy any. It will be seen a luxury.

Wine and spirits are out but beers, largers and cider are better priced. Get it quick before they raise the cost of a price a unit of alcohol costs. They have a good long shelf life so they gone into my store cupboard of food and household goods. OK they're different sized bottles(but 44 bottles) into approx £31 is not a bad buy and I suspect if purchased seperately they would be worth at least another £25-£30 but these will last me for ages...probably a couple of years...

Do I have a lot of money? Not really. I am using a very small amount that I have before I come into Mum's savings and really see my budget drop and I hope that what I have will mean, I can have a reasonable life for some months to come.

But I am afraid that whatever I do, life will never be quite the same without Mum...I can quite understand why Jeremy Brett the actor could not live without his wife when she passed away he took his life(This has now been made clear to me to be untrue)But if I remove this some of the comments associated to this post will not make sense, Peter Cushing whenever he was interviewed used to say that he was only living long enough until he could meet his Dear wife again...

At present I am not depressed and hope that I can manage to have a reasonable life for what time remains. But some of joy has gone out of my life and often I do what I do because it has to be done...don't we all.

I have probably been protected in some ways from such pain and heartache in that really I have not had to attend many funerals or lost many people that I have close contact with, if you only see some people occasionally to some extent you are cushioned from the lossbecause you don't see them often but when you live with someone or see someone daily, it's harder. I said that once before and came into such a lot of flack!

So I guess my three people that I miss are Mum, Dad and my Grandma...How many people have seen dead? Mum and and my Grandma. How many people in the chapel of rest? One...Mum! How many funerals have I attended? Four(that extra one was my Auntie(My gran's sister)

In many decades that isn't that many I suppose. And really there is not many I can see me attending in the future should I survive for sometime to come. Perhaps five at the most. But as three of those are younger or the same age as me I hope they will not be for a long time to come...If I haven't gone first of course...

13 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

Oh dear, Gildy. You're a supermarket's dream.
I'm glad to say I don't need alcohol to cheer me up so I never buy it (an even bigger saving!).

And, are you sure about Jeremy Brett?
My understanding is that he died of heart failure (he had rheumatic fever as a child) and had, for a long time, suffered with heart trouble which was not helped by his 60-cigarettes-a-day habit.

25 May 2012 at 19:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeremy Brett died as you say VQ. He survived his wife by ten years.

Many of us have lost loving husbands....and wives. It isn't easy but you just have to get on with things. I keep saying to you that you need to meet people..........you spend too much time on your own, or looking for bargains in supermarkets. I would never dream of spending the amount you have on alcohol! If you're not going to drink it, why buy it. I don't understand your logic at all. You are spending for spending' s sake.

I despair for you.

25 May 2012 at 20:04  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Of course I'll drink it Anon, but it will probably take me a couple of years to get through it...

Some of it is ok until well into 2014.

VQ I can go years without alcohol and many drinks taste like medicine to me...

I am usually a very happy person and not known to be down or need articifcial
substances to give me a lift.

An odd drink as I will have won't become a habit, all booze usually does for me is make me me very sleepy and even more docile.

If the booze lasts me as long as I think it will, well in 2014 Anon, what's that cost over approx 2 years...perhaps £15 a year.

I'm happy to hear that there may have been another reason for Jeremy Brett's demise but I had honestly heard it the way that I did...but sadly he really was troubled both mentally and physically when you read about him...

Happy to hear that there is another reason. Happy isn't exactly the right way of putting it...I'm having difficulty thinking of the correct word.

27 May 2012 at 10:01  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

VQ said...
But I knew what you meant, Gildy!

(I've corrected some typing errors and reprinted the comments that followed in the same order)

So even if my name and a new date appears they are not made by me...

27 May 2012 at 10:08  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Perhaps a tabloid reported it wrong...



OK I've had a drink, one I purchased last year. That shows how long I can make drink last. I still have some half price champagne I treated us too with the intention of giving it to Mum for a Birthday or a New Year. I'd never done such a thing, now I'll have to use it up myself sometime.

I doubt I'll ever be buying any again...Wine is out too...probably spirits as well unless I can make it last by making my cocktails again(ometimes you can make a very smalll drink with a similar effect)

I am very sleepy and relaxed, I have already had a sleep too. I think that I will sleep ok tonight.

27 May 2012 at 10:17  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Anonymous said...
There was another reason for Jeremy Brett's death, not may be as you now say..............he didn't commit suicide!

27 May 2012 at 10:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Sorry that I did not quite say things correctly for you anon by using the word "may"...how about as he was troubled(possibly tormented)and I do know that he was interviewed and said how much he missed his wife, that probably did not help his overal physical well being and it all added up.

But on paper it probably was caused by the condition that had afflicated him since childhood.

27 May 2012 at 10:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

.....and he died 10 years after his wife!

27 May 2012 at 12:10  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Yes and your point is?

We cannot always choose when we will die but we can suffer or have something add to our health problems, again I'll use Peter Cushing as my example...see the Personal Life section on the following website

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Cushing

He was such a dear man, a real gentle man in every sense of the word...

27 May 2012 at 12:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My point is that he managed with his health problems for 10 years after the death of his wife, I thought that was clear enough. You don't like being proved wrong, so now you're splitting hairs!

27 May 2012 at 15:29  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I'm not disagreeing, I don't think I'm splitting hairs.

I could live another twenty years but losing a loved one could still affect my health in some way, I've heard of people who have been considered healthy and it's been said that they died of a broken heart.

27 May 2012 at 16:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes within months, not ten years.

Of course he would be upset, I was, but the propel I knew who were said to have died of a broken heart do so pretty quickly.

Some elderly couples die within hours of each other!

27 May 2012 at 18:05  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

We're all different, a friend is still upset at the loss of wife and talks to her every day, cries and hates how quiet the house is without her, he writes her a letter every day...

I am sure that he is just biding his time and cannot wait to be with her again(he does believe)

I still have doubts. Do all the animals, insects and plants go to heaven or is it just Humans because we were created above everything else?

Perhaps Karl Marx was right...religion is opium for the masses. I'd like to think that he was wrong.

27 May 2012 at 18:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home