My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Do I Cancel Joining EDF?

I talked to the energy comparison site USwitch and they think that I'll still pay £2,000+ annually for gas and electric but they are going by the previous bills which are not a good guide...they told me to phone the utility companies that I use and ask for my annual consumption.

But  that will be artificially high...we're using Mum's bills whilst she was here...

NPower say going by my readings for the last 9 days for gas/electric I would pay(if by Direct monthly debit)approx £31 for both because they give £10 discount annually and also £109 discount through paying this way...for both as they stand with my meter readings before all the discounts they think the electric costs £7 and the gas £6 for 9 days but I am saving as they have no standing charges on either meter.

That's money saved or that could be better put towards being able to use the electric and gas more and might allow for price rises if I am fortunate to be in such a position that I have  some spare cash

So the electric would cost £284 approx and the gas £244 approx so that's £528, then take off the £109 and the £10 discount I was told I would be entitled to...that's coming in at £409 so does that sound right? Or are my calculations wrong? That's around £8 per week...

 I cannot decide if I have to add VAT on to the above prices and at what rate...that could take the amount nearer to what I originally worked things out in an earlier post.

I then phoned British Gas to see what they had to say.


Update: They had all kinds of discounts that bamboozled me but they have standing charges on their meters...they couldn't work out what I'd save on my electric even though they say their electric charges are lower than most other companies by 7% but they worked out that the gas I had used already for 9 days would come in at nearly £10 so that's £40 each month for the gas alone. So that's around £480 a year on gas alone.

In the end I may be better going with NPower for both.

And you know what? I worked all this out for myself and USwitch gave me no advice in the end except when "I" mentioned saving on the standing charges on the meters at NPower the guy at USwitch said it was a no brainer...but I don't know if NPower factor what they lose by not having standing charges into the prices that we pay for the energy used. But I bet that they do. But if I use EDF's standing charges as a guide that saves me £150 annually.

This perhaps seems quite a boring post but paying for gas and electric is a bit of a worry at present...until I know where  I am financially and things settle down...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a nonsensical figure tbh. More than i pay in a much larger house with two people who feel the cold and have all rooms heated whether used or not!
We also use our gas cooker a lot for cooking and keeping plates and seving dishes warm as i hate food being served on cold plates.

Nick

24 May 2012 at 14:18  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Nick, I have added more information to the post and changed the figures around a bit, I think things are more accurate now...any advice or input is welcome...

24 May 2012 at 15:25  
Anonymous VQ said...

You see, this is what puts me off switching.
I'd never be able to decide which company to switch to.
London Electricity was bought by EDF; otherwise I'd never have gone with a French company.

24 May 2012 at 17:14  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I know...and the Government says it's easy to switch VQ!

I have to do something though and fast I only have 3-4 days of my cooling off period with EDF.

If NPower really can do my annual bill for under £500 I should go with that, it's better than nearly £1,000 for the year.

Then if I decide to use more energy(or I can afford it)the extra will take me to the original amount I thought it may cost me. Similar to what you pay now...rather than me paying nearly £1,000 for the little I do use at present and any more being added to that figure...

24 May 2012 at 17:25  
Blogger crl2amb said...

One of my worst mistakes was to try and switch to BG from EDF on on the advice of a comparison site.

I was plunged into a nightmare of sales people and recorded telephone calls the like of which I never want to repeat.

In the end I paid £70 to get out of it, yes it was that bad and went back to EDF, I will never switch again.

Some people make it sound so easy, but for me it was a nightmare I would never wish to repeat.

EDF for me.


Cx

25 May 2012 at 19:11  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Well, I could continue paying quarterly and to two suppliers NPower and British Gas but now I am probably best doing monthly direct debit but I have to decide...NPower or EDF and having one company supply both the gas and electric?

Once the decision is made I probably will avoid moving around...

A few people have said EDF takes some beating...I can understand why you decided to go back to the origianl supplier Carol and VQ's reluctance to move from what she knows.

25 May 2012 at 19:29  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I have asked for some feedback on the Moneysavingexpert forum but so far no one has offered any ideas to my questions about the switch over and what is a good deal...

26 May 2012 at 23:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home