My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, May 28, 2012

I've Slept Reasonably Well...

but did not feel much like going on the net as I was literally just messing about with no purpose so I didn't!

I will make the effort to get up in an hour and do something but I feel a bit tender this morning and not as I should. I'm not depressed as such.

I managed to get through to my relative in Australia, stayed  on longer than planned but how often am I going to make a call like that? I couldn't trace his number on line even though he's in the phone book. Luckily by chance I found an old envelope that I had written his number on but still it failed and then just by luck I thought one number had been omitted from the code for the city he lives. I tried it and it worked!

All I am waiting for now is to find out what I owe for the call as I don't think that my package for calls includes international ones and I'll pay and restore my credit limit and then in theory it will stay that way...

I've been invited to go out to  Australia for a couple of weeks, I can't see it happening but it's nice to be asked! My relative lost his wife approx two and a half years ago...he may have the weather but I don't think  he's any better off financially than we are here in the UK and struggling just as much. He's not running a car but can access a good bus service. His tv is 20 years old and he does not take satellite/cable and he too is watching what he spends on electric and gas heating. He finds evenings and early mornings cold so has to wear warm clothes...even in Australia.

He was over here in December and hoped to get to see Mum but he had to use so many busses to get everywhere and renting a car was out, getting around easily had been the biggest problem when in the UK..

7 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

As you say, Gildy, it's nice to be asked.
Through tracing my family tree, I found relatives, in Sydney, that I didn't know existed. Whilst in Australis, one of my sons called in to see them and was made a tremendous fuss of.
They have asked me to visit but I just couldn't manage it now.
Nice thought though.

28 May 2012 at 11:40  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Yes that would've been nice for you VQ,

Yes, if I wanted to go to Australia I don't know how my benefits would be affected.

I mean they may be in their rights to suggest if I can travel for that long and such a distance I can't be so bad.

How long can I stay out of the country?

I haven't a passport.

It's going to cost a fair bit and may be seen as an un-necessary luxury and...I've never flown before...

I just can't get motivated today but I must and my stomach is churning a little so I guess that has be caused by missing Mum and uncertainty about the future.

It's going to happen...

28 May 2012 at 12:33  
Anonymous VQ said...

If your stomach is churning, you probably forgot to have breakfast!

28 May 2012 at 14:01  
Blogger crl2amb said...

Thought you might be interested to know I have just had my gas direct debit reduced from £23 per month to £20.

We used it sensibly throughout the winter as and when needed (ie not on a timer), the hot water is on constant.

Not bad eh? I do live in a mid terrace which helps and am out most of the daytime, but still, also the house is pretty well insulated.

I don't often have it on upstairs though so probably 3 radiators on.

I am chuffed as you can imagine.

Cx

28 May 2012 at 14:49  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Nice one VQ ;-)

I dragged myself outdoors and yes, it meant a tour of the shops...again...

Mind I had to drop Mum's Death Certificate into the bank so there was a purpose to my trip, I also dropped my prescription into the Dr's surgery...

I purchased some items for my food store cupboard.

As I said previously, I'm not going to become an alcoholic but now quite enjoy a small drink every few days, it's not enough to be drunk just enough to relax me and I sleep well...

There's no way I will go over the allowed units per week.

Unless there is an offer on, I couldn't consider buying it in the first place.

I had the washer on today and as the weather is still good I've hung the clothes on the washing line.

The halogen oven has arrived, its a little on the large size but I still managed to find a space for it. Though made in China...the manufacturer and where it came from is just a few miles from here...maybe that's why it arrived so quickly.

I started wearing a gold onyx signet ring my Father bought for me years ago earlier this year...today I found Mum's pearl necklace, the shine may've come off the pearls but it is Mum's and hey are very small pearls so I have doubled it and am now wearing it around my neck as a keepsake of her.

Hey Carol...it may only be a saving of £3 a month but anything is better than an increase...over the year it's still a saving of £36.

28 May 2012 at 16:52  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

The call to Australia cost me £7 but how often am I going to make an International call...If I thought that I may than paying that extra £42 a year that allows me to call anytime might be worth signing to...then again, it still only saves me 25% on international calls which still isn't a lot.

29 May 2012 at 19:45  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Of course we all want something for nothing if we can get it! :-)

29 May 2012 at 20:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home