My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, May 27, 2012

How Long Does It Take To Walk...

two streets? I timed myself today...after a visit to...the supermarket. I know, I know but that's where you see the most people and it gives you an objective, a reason for going out...I'm not sure that any were left but I forgot to buy some strawberries.

So it took me approx 35 minutes and that included me having to stop every so often...

I am now in a reflective mood, which I cannot help, I suppose I'll have such occasions for some time to come(I'd quite welcome a sleep)

I've had a drink of orange fruit juice diluted with water...and for now there's not much to do...not much on the radio(my favourite programmes resume around 8pm)I have run of places to look at on the internet. Well, if there's nothing that you need to be searching for, you end up visiting the same old sites...

You know really all I will be leaving of myself is this blog and even this doesn't use my real name...when I think how important Mum and Dad were and they touched so many lives over the years and yet there is nothing to show for it. I mean Mum did her voluntary work at a local school for years and also helping the elderly for a time too. Back in 1984 it was known as the Community Task Force. I think it included arranging for people to decorate the homes of pensioners(I think who were on low incomes)

It used people who were unemployed and some were possibly ex offenders of some kind and I think that they used people of all ages...however I just did a search and it still seems to exist or has been resurrected as a another one of those Government programmes to supposedly help people into work and where they pay those on the scheme as little as possible and it uses young people only now aged between 18-24 years of age.

I may dislike getting old and worry about the future but I really would hate having to face what many are in school and afterwards regarding trying to find work that pays anywhere near a decent wage.

And the State pension leaves much to be desired...I have no idea what mine will be...I have worked(not regularly)but I have. I have also attended many work programmes and I did jump through all  the hoops regarding looking for work and I am entitled to the help I receive due to illness and I have probably never claimed all that I could've/should've...that was probably true of the time when Mum was ill...and I also did over 15 years of voluntary work too.

14 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

If you are concerned that your blog is all that you'll leave behind, you can remedy that.
You could paint a picture (and sign it), you could write a book - about your life, about caring for a sick parent, about coping alone, a work of fiction or anything else that springs to mind.
My particular interest is in genealogy. I have traced my family's history (back to the 1600s in some lines) and have printed the family tree and passed it on to all members of the extended family - whether they wanted it or not!
You have mentioned aunts/uncles. Presumably they have children and your family tree will relate to them just as it relates to you. It's an absorbing hobby and what you need is something in which you can become absorbed.
I wonder if there are classes in your area which you could attend. Learn a language, take a pottery course, learn to paint...... and while you're becoming absorbed, you'll also be meeting people. Very important

27 May 2012 at 19:31  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I think that a son on the side of a sister of my Gran did geneolgy as a profession, I tried to contact him to tell him Mum had passed away but I think he has gone ex-directory as no matter how I try I cannot find his details...

I am phoning a relative in Australia later from that side of the family to tell him about Mum...I'll see if he has his number...

They are approx 9 hours ahead so I phone around midnight my time, that will be around 9am out there...

27 May 2012 at 20:59  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Evenhe cannot manage to contact him, he seems to have gone to ground...

I'll just give up...

28 May 2012 at 12:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should do some voluntary work again, then there will be lots of people to remember you in the future for the good you did.

28 May 2012 at 18:34  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Well, in general you know why voluntary work is out, I'm never sure how I amone day to the next but...if I ma seendoing voluntary work, they are so tough on people these days I could be affected greatly financially.

So they are probably stopping many genuine people from helping society who would like to.

you probably will have to pay bus fares and other expenses which if you are on a low income/benefits might be difficult to find.

And if working for many charities or organisations they don't have any spare cash to help with travel expenses etc...and you probably would not want to take money off a charity anyhow...

28 May 2012 at 20:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please will you stop putting obstacles in the way. You can't spend the next 25 years of your life shut in your house , telling us whay you've had to eat, & worrying about everything .
Find some volunteering you can do very locally, buy a cheapo mobility scooter, & tell them you'll help when you can . Otherwise you'll drive yourself completely insane & become a recluse !

28 May 2012 at 22:40  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I promise that I will not become a recluse and I will take an interest in things again...at present its still early days and I always was interested in what I eat and I do get a lot of pleasure out of listening to the radio and music.

If I manage to reach retirement age I am more likely to consider voluntary work then...

28 May 2012 at 22:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course you'll reach retirement age . How long is it til you do ? You can't do nothing til you get your state pension, you'll get bored stiff !

28 May 2012 at 23:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps it would be a good idea to develop a few more hobbies than wondering what you're going to eat for your next meal & listening to the radio ? You seem to have rather a limited life at the moment, I'm sure your Mum would want to to go out & make the best of your life.

28 May 2012 at 23:53  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I've never suffered much from boredom. Few around here have the money or the time to do anything special.

If you are working, most jobs are not well paid and I know both my neighbours are usually in bed by 10pm.

If you have child in school it restricts what you can do in an evening by the time you come home, have meal most people will end up on a computer or watching tv...

One neighbour's wage has dropped by quite a sum, he used to be management, now he is a bit like a caretaker and walks around a kind of building that has charities and adult learning classes and the hours can long. Even the hours that his wife works have been reduced too.

29 May 2012 at 01:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, was that supposed to be an answer to the post just before your last one ?

29 May 2012 at 10:35  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I think that it could follow on from that post...it's good if you can treat yourself or do something different now and again but perhaps that's why we enjoy them so much because we don't do them all the time. In work/out of work most days are a routine...often governed by your budget. If I decided to go out for a meal I'd have to get on a bus and that would probably cost £4-£7 and then the meal may cost £5 or more...

ok it's got you out of the house but that's still quite a dent if on a low income. If I used a taxi I'd be adding approx another £30 to the meal.

I could go to the Tesco's on the town but why spend £5-£6 when I can do the same meal for approx £1-£1.50 and I have all the ingredients in the house...It's still nicer if you have someone to go with...

29 May 2012 at 14:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've shopped on your own for a few years, so what's new?

You could spend some of your money on a mobility scooter.j You could do you shop and even venture further than two streets. with you it's always "I may do". Just think about getting about instead of just going to the supermarket.

You are also pricing every item to a penny, which is quite ridiculous. We all eat, sleep and live...........and a lot of us have health problems. You....don't have a life, and unless you buck your ideas up, you will be ill because that's all you think about. You have had stable results for the past few years. Eating healthily, a good diet, and not a lot of alcohol and a healthy attitude works wonders. Try it!

29 May 2012 at 19:44  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Perhaps I will when I come into Mum's money...I bet it costs a fair bit to charge the battery on one of those mobile scooters.

There's not much in the way of open spaces in my town, you can ride/walk around streets of houses...

I'm only concerned now about the price of the electric and gas...and I'm afraid most of us have health problems to a greater or lesser degree.

29 May 2012 at 19:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home