My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, May 27, 2012

I've Already Eaten...But Not Sticking To Set Times...

I had salad around 9pm yesterday...recently I haven't added egg or chips/potatoes to the ingredients, not always any meat either but I had a small Melton Mobrey pork pie...but there was grated chedder  cheese, tomato, lettuce, spring onions, cucumber...

Cost? Approx 80p

I awoke maybe around midnight and had another slightly smaller one but as a sandwich...

A bun, tomato, cheese and lettuce.

Cost? Approx 55p

So that's £1.35 in total(possibly as I drank more fruity drinks today it might've been nearer £2)

Then this morning not knowing what time it was(It's ages since I wore a wristwatch)perhaps I'll buy myself a cheap one again and a cheap wall clock for the other bedroom. Though I quite like those clocks that automatically change when we put the clocks forward and back...I bought Mum one a bit like a travel clock which I still have...

I digress...

It turned out that it was around 5am so at that time I was eating a large bowl of cereal with strawberries, blueberries and banana.

Cost? Approx 80p

I awoke around 9.30am always seem to do that on Sundays since Mum  passed away...and had a mug of coffee with two slices of toast and strawberry jam.

Cost? Approx 40p

So if I have nothing for most of the rest of the day...I'm doing ok. I may attempt an evening meal of vegetables, potatoes, sliced pork, Yorkshire puddings and gravy. It doesn't have to be difficult to prepare if you use frozen veg, Yorkshire puds that you warm up, gravy granules and sliced meat. It can be done in minutes...and you can cheat by opening a can of new potatoes.

The cost?  Approx £1

If I have a little treat afterwards and include what I drink it may creep up again towards £2 but that blog we mentioned on the previous post Never Seconds the school is charging £2 for one meal! I'm having anything between 1-3 meals and my portions are probably larger and spending no more.

Then again interesting that the same blog mentions African children having one meal and if I read correctly though we may get tired if we had to eat the same items day after day, if it kept you alive and nourished perhaps we wouldn't. I'm sure it said that their meal costs 6p per portion. But it contains rice, fish and vegetables...

I think that my budget though tight isn't too bad but of course we are governed by the prices the food costs in the shops and in turn by the amount of money we have to spend. If my benefits were reduced still further and many are worried what the future will bring I can see the variety of what I eat and how much being affected greatly perhaps then I will be eating baked beans at every opportunity(though they've been creeping up in price)

You can only cut back so far...that goes for those who work, are retired, ill or unemployed not just me...and I don't think that I eat a lot of processed food either...so I cannot be accused  of eating a lot of convenience foods which can be expensive...If I did have any I'll supplement it with foods that are not processed.

I hope that my meals can remain reasonably healthy and varied and not become boring. As important as food is to our well being and possibly how long we live. Sadly it it is often quite low down on our list of priorities, sometimes by choice, often it is foisted on us because of financial restraints(In other words)due to a lack of money.

Cooking for one is still strange...and some meals are probably pointless and possibly too expensive for one. I know that a full chicken is good value and you can do many meals but if it has to be used within days of cooking a lot of it will probably be wasted if it's a single household but then again as two chicken breasts can cost almost what a full chicken does which is false economy ...

10 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

Just so long as you make sure you get enough protein, carbs and vitamins. I'm so pleased to see strawberries, blueberries and bananas figure in your diet.
Gildy, if you've still got your mother's travel clock, you don't need to go out to buy another clock.
Look after the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves.

27 May 2012 at 13:25  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

If I get that sofa(some time)a mattress and a wristwatch, I'm ok...I could manage with the furniture I have but everyone who visits(not many I'll grant you)say how low the seats are but they must be nearly 40 years old...I think Argos can do a sofa and possibly a chair for approx £300.

The wall clock would go in the other bedroom but again if I have a watch...then again you can see the time on a DAB radio, a pc and so on...

27 May 2012 at 13:39  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

This quite a good site...

http://www.realbuzz.com/food-diet/

27 May 2012 at 13:42  
Anonymous VQ said...

You're right, Gildy. It does look good. Must look in greater depth when it's not so hot. Meet with friends, drink more water and deep breathing are all pretty cheap and good advice.
Must practise those.

27 May 2012 at 14:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm afraid that I am a bit of a stickler for eating regular small-ish meals and eating them properly, most of the times, at a table and not slouched in a chair or bed (unless confined to bed, obviously)!
If you are, as it seems, a fairly sedentary person then you will need less than someone who is more active - stating the bleeding obvious, I know.

Nick

27 May 2012 at 16:22  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Stating the bleeding obvious perhaps but worth saying Nick :-)

I also think small but often is probably the best way to eat if you are at home a lot and not governed by time as perhaps as one used to be if working perhaps...

That's where perhaps sometimes something like a sandwich or some snack can be handy. Or something that releases energy slowly...

If I see my weight creeping up I'll just cut back slightly on high calorie foods but still see that I eat good food...

27 May 2012 at 16:47  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I didn't have that meal...I just had a couple of sliced pork sandwiches in the end...

27 May 2012 at 21:01  
Anonymous Anna44 said...

my kid's school charge £2.20 per per per lunch....at £4.40 a day my kids always take a packed lunch! x a

29 May 2012 at 14:22  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

A lot of people do not understand that £2-£3 is still quite expensive for a meal when spread across a week and as you say Anna when you do it for two children that's £22 per week.

And I suppose the other good thing is that you know what goes into their lunchboxes...

I must admit I liked the look of the lunchbox as much or more than the images of the meals that have been served up so far by the schools featured.

Good to see you Anna

Gildy(Anthony)x

29 May 2012 at 14:35  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Of course you may just be saying that's what a meal costs at your child's school and the fact you put a lunch box up may just be through choice...

29 May 2012 at 14:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home