My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Having Filled The Fridge/Freezer...

I have been looking at the great site that is Money Saving Expert and in particular the forum area.

One part has become quite interesting to me and that is about ways to be thrifty and save money and I am convinced myself that having a stockpile of food and household goods with long sell by dates on is a good idea...

I am going organise my kitchen cupboards better...make certain they are fully stocked of canned items and dry food stuff(you know the usual stuff like baked beans, soups, tomatoes, tuna, salmon etc...)

Lots of things like coffee, tea bags, squash, soft drinks, water, long life milk, cereals and porridge etc...

Toilet rolls, soaps, deodorants, washing up liquid, liquid washer and softeners on offer or not as expensive as others, cleaners for wiping down surfaces and sponges etc...

I don't really need shampoo, I haven't much hair to warrant buying it. Some washing up liquid would probably do the trick but I have found some baby shampoo, baby bath and baby lotion costing between 9p and 18p for each and ingredients wise it has nothing harmful in it.

I don't use the dinning room any more and as that has the fridge freezer and a tumble drier it can become more of a storage room for items as mentioned above.

9 Comments:

Blogger crl2amb said...

Hi Gildy

You may remember ages ago that I mentioned MSE particularly the old style section.

It is one of my favourite sites, filled with tips for saving money. Beware though, it can be addictive!!

There are some super people on there too. It does have its spiteful trolls too though so beware of asking for any advice about benefits etc as there are some very nasty people pop up on that board.

Cx

19 May 2012 at 17:36  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Its not been too bad lately and others have jumped on anyone attempting to be nasty...

Thanks Carol :-)

19 May 2012 at 18:24  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Tomorrow I am going to try and spend the day doing my final tidying of the house, dust and hoover and then start on the bags of rubbish and other items that need sorting out.

I am going to start getting the dinning room into some kind of shape so I can see what I have in my stockpile of food and household goods...best part of what I have have dates going into 2013 and 2014

If I don't eat what I have purchased before then.

I'm about to have a mug of coffee and then because I may not go to bed for a while, I really should start to tidy up my files on here and burn them to disc. I am having my first meal of the day probably chicken and mushroom rice...

Any nourishment will be ok and I guess you eat less when alone and if you are not burning the calories off.

How did I spend my Saturday night?

Walking around the supermarket really slowly looking for value bargains and items for my store of food.

That filled a couple of hours.

19 May 2012 at 22:35  
Anonymous VQ said...

I find that the 99p and £ shops are excellent for things such as soap, washing up liquid, toilet & kitchen rolls, shampoos etc.
Where do you get your baby shampoo from, Gildy? I'd like to try it.

20 May 2012 at 18:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

What an excellent idea...the 99p and £ shops, I am amazed that we don't have any here and they are all 7 miles away. But you have set me thinking...I can get a return bus trip for approx £4.60 so if I could get a lot of bargains on top of that, I could say it's still worth it.

Then again, Tesco's are selling Simple soap(4 tablets)for £1.25 so that's approx 30p each and yet along side these soaps they have 2 tablets at £1.50. I bought 2 whilst they were offer. My stock cupboard isn't as big as I thought but I'll still try and add more to it.

The baby shampoo, baby bath and baby lotion are all priced beteween 9p and 18p and are part of Tesco's Every Day range. They really are an excellent buy...and they will have to be safe if meant for babies.

The washing up liquid is 35p, cleaner similar to Cif is 35p. I'd write more but my battery is going to go off in a minute or so...

21 May 2012 at 05:48  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

They are both simple soaps and when I say bought two I mean the packs containing 4 tablets.

I haven't as much as I thought in my store, I'm not too bad on soups and other canned stuff but I'm sure that I'm missing out on some items...

I usually buy sugar for my coffee but half price I found Canderel Stevia Green(75g)so I purchased two jars but reading the information I thought it meant that you could use less so that may mean it lasts longer but I suspect all that is going to happen is the sweetness is the same but the calorific value is different and I'm not bothered about that so I may have made a mistake buying it!

When it goes back up in price I probably won't bother...and yet it says that it is 200 times sweeter than sugar so 100g of sugar = 10g of Canderel. Stevia is a plant found in South America.

So maybe I can use less and it is good value...

21 May 2012 at 14:59  
Anonymous VQ said...

Thanks, Gildy. I'll look out for the baby shampoo when I next go to Tescos.

21 May 2012 at 20:01  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

VQ,
All three are next to each other...

In our store on the bottom shelf...

The everyday value range are nearly all on either the bottom ot top shelf...

I have just purchased two boxes of Everyday Value Cornflakes costing 31p each and they have the same traffic lights of ingredients as the Tesco's cornflakes that cost £1.39.

Its taken two weeks for them to come in and every time I've looked the shelf has been empty.

21 May 2012 at 21:38  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Someone on Money Saving Expert has been using the Baby Lotion for a number of ideas from hand lotion to cleaning the bathroom!

23 May 2012 at 07:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home