My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, April 16, 2012

A Better Day...

Considering the situation we're in...Sunday they'd given Mum a shower and we managed to have her sit in a chair in her bedroom for approx 4 hours(she even said that she might get up again in the evening)she didn't but the intention was there. They said they were happy to get Mum up again but if she did they wanted her to do so for at least half hour and not go straight back to bed.

Mum did eat well at teatime and managed some spaghetti hoops(admittedly pureed but still)some bread, some black forrest gateau, a biscuit and she had some tea, coffee and complan(I think that we close on 1,000 calories)

I stayed on until 1am and though willing to stay all night the Nurse on duty(I know)is one who isn't so keen, some are, some aren't(though they say otherwise)but as it happened Mum was calmer and sleeping reasonaly soundly. I even fell asleep for maybe an hour which I did not the previous night, I managed some sleep back at home so I hope I am more ready to do whatever I have to. I also hope my cold is improving but the last coughing bout was pretty bad but if I get it out of the way before I see Mum that's great.

So I'm away to get dressed, get my flasks filled and fill the carriers and I may get 7-8 hours in...

Take Care

Gildy x

12 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

Well, that sounds like a definite improvement to me.
Your mum had more for her tea than I did! And, presumably, she had had breakfast and lunch before you arrived.
I was wondering if there's any chance of physiotherapy for her. I should think her muscles must be wasting away through lack of use.

16 April 2012 at 14:41  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

That's a good thought VQ...I wonder if we could reverse this ghastly situation we're in...she's still thin but holding her own(possibly a little weight has been added)

If we could do that just maybe they'd take another look at the other problem...If its so slow...

We're making the calories not on volume of food more calorific value and things being fortified.

Late again...and I still have to po into the supermarket...

Doing the main shop in the morning after being on the market buying those double yolk eggs!

;-)

16 April 2012 at 16:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Readin back through your blog,I'm afraid if your Mum hasn't moved her legs much for the last few years, it might be very difficult to strengthen her leg muscles now or get her on her feet.

16 April 2012 at 17:10  
Anonymous VQ said...

Well, at least it's worth a try.
If she could just try pushing the soles of he feet against Gildy's palms, it might help a little.

16 April 2012 at 18:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading back through your blog Gildy, ( November 2009 )I can see what the OT & physio were trying to get at, but I'm sorry to say that you & your Mum confining yourselves to the upstairs of your house probably didn't help ) :

16 April 2012 at 18:13  
Anonymous VQ said...

Listen, if Gildy thought he could have done more at the time, he would have.
It's his mum we're talking about.
You don't just sit back and give up.
You do all you possibly can - just as Gildy has done.
I've never known anyone to be a more caring son.

16 April 2012 at 18:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes VQ but she has spent virtually the last 2 and a half years in her bedroom wheich doesn't really help her physically or mentally .

16 April 2012 at 18:50  
Blogger crl2amb said...

You get 10 out of 10 from me Anthony for your awesome efforts to help your Mum through this difficult time.

Carol x

PS. Some of your menus for Mum have me drooling, me being on Slimming World ;o)

16 April 2012 at 20:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with both of you Anthony is devoted to his Mother & does everything he can for her, but it hasn't helped her muscles to keep strong if she's spent the last two years either sitting in a chair or lying on her bed. I know you think the physio & OT were harsh on you Anthony, but you should really have got some more rails fitted in your house & got your Mum a zimmer frame to help her get properly mobilised. Of course she was going to decline physically & mentally if she was mostly in her bedroom with just a radio to listen to. Didn't the health professionals mention in the past (or am I imagining it? )that it would have been a good idea to get a more suitable chair for her downstairs so she could watch the TV with you? I know you're distraught that she's so weak, but she really needs to be got up more & be encouraged to move around.I'm afraid just feeding her up won't make her muscles stronger !

17 April 2012 at 00:38  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

To some extent you could be right anon but Mum had a walking stick, access to a Zimmer Frame and has a suitable chair in the lounge and there are chairs in the bedroom.

We'll just have to see...

Mum's problem I suspect is trying to fight against the cancer.

I could give you all kinds of menus Carol if my blog ever returns to being how it used to be and nothing was difficult to prepare/cook...I used to do all kinds when Mum was here. I hope that I can manage to keep an interest when cooking for one.

On Sunday Mum sat in the chair in her room for 4 hours. And ate well.

Now tonight they did not bring her any tea but in passing the Manager of the home offered Mum some scrambled egg and... guess what!

Mum had some scrambled eggs for lunch and porridge at breakfast...probably small portions but if they can manage to do that, that's great.

When I left at midnight she was sleeping soundly, calm and not in pain.

It was lovely and warm in her room and I was actually falling asleep and would have happily stayed the night.

The home is trying to get their transport vehicle to pick me up when it comes back to the home around 3pm daily and they only charge £2 so I could end up saving upto £15 in taxi fares...

17 April 2012 at 01:02  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Got distracted on the computer and now look at the time...Better get some sleep...I want to be out the door at 8am to get those eggs and a couple of things at the supermarket...

17 April 2012 at 03:58  
Anonymous VQ said...

Great news about the transport, Gildy. That would make a significant difference.

17 April 2012 at 09:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home