My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Mum's Been Admitted To Hospital...

How I got Mum down the stairs I'll never know.

She had to come down on her bottom.

Next door my neighbour was about and he picked her up like a rag doll and got her into the taxi.

When she got to the hospital it took best part of half an hour to manage to get a wheelchair just to get her into the hospital. So she was sat on a public seat getting cold. Reception kept phoning(no joy)eventually some nurses managed to step in and find one.

She was wrapped in a blanket and we were given two mugs of tea and kind lunch packet of sandwiches and a yogurt.
It turned out that yes, she is anaemic so they transfered Mum to another hospital for that but around thirty minutes earlier of me writing this post, we were still waiting to be seen by a Dr to find out what is going on and for me to tell him things that he probably should know.

She was in pain and waiting for pain relief.

Also, it took 4 hours+ to get an ambulance to transfer to the other hospital and Mum was so uncomfortable they brought a bed down off the wards to the outpatients for Mum to rest on.

They are now talking that Radio Therapy may not make much difference to the tumour sadly(They still haven't put a time limit on Mum)The bad news(though Mum's brother in the States thinks it might be easier)they think they may have to consider Mum having a colostomy!

She had enough mental capacity to understand this and says she's willing to go through with it but its a hard decision.

So I don't know much until I go and see Mum again tomorrow. I was told to discuss this with the Dr's where she is now.

Even if Mum needs more care we both hope she'll get back home and into familiar surroundings and the last blood transfusion did make such a difference to her so I hope this the case this time...She's also still waiting for the transfusion. I suppose they'll do that tomorrow now.

6 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

Oh Gildy, what an awful day you've both had. I'm so sorry.
As you say, if they give her blood again, she will feel so much better.
I hope you manage to get a good nights sleep - not having to listen out all the time.
Let's hope for a better day tomorrow.

14 March 2012 at 23:33  
Anonymous Nicodemus said...

Thanks for your update. I'm sorry that some of the news is bad, namely that RT probably won't be effective, and the possibility of colostomy. The confirmation of anaemia could be more positive news, of course: it would explain the recent deterioration - and it's treatable. Let's hope that the transfusion does the trick.

You're doing a wonderful thing, not only in looking after your Mum, but in writing so honestly about the experience, and giving it to the world.

14 March 2012 at 23:34  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Hi Gildy. Not much to add but to reiterate the above comments and hope you don't forget about looking after yourself.

15 March 2012 at 06:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Gildy, I'm so sorry. :(

Hopefully, once they get her out of pain and get her levels back up, she'll be feeling much better.

Sending thoughts and prayers like mad. :(

Hang in there,
Jan

15 March 2012 at 07:11  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and wishes...

As I type this I haven't managed to get much out of the hospital staff as to have she is but she has not been moved to another ward.

I couldn't quite hear whether she'd had restless night or not.

But she is sleeping at the minute.

I tried to find out if its likely she'll be moved(as other wards have different visiting hours(and that would mean a wasted journey)but no information on that score.

So I guess a quick shave, tidy round and I'll be ordering a taxi.

Mum is passing motions so as yet the tumour may be a problem but we can still cope I suppose.

My question would be if they go for a colostomy are they planning on at last removing the tumour otherwise that will I assume continue to grow/be a problem.

I do believe the blood tranfusion will make a difference and if they get on top of Mum's pain even better.

Already I've had word that our care package(without any extra care added is going up)and I assume the care will increas so I suspect any attendence allowence we have been awarded will be totally eaten up.

She's worth it though...it may very well be that we'll still be paying even more than that by the time we've finished.

About seven and half hours per week costs around £104 per month.

15 March 2012 at 11:05  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Now, I better make it clear that I don't expect care to be free and Mum's worth it and the Attendence Allowence is meant to be used for Mum's care so its doing the job it was intended but if we then still have to find extra from the other little bit of cash we have we are kind of back to square one.

I do use some of my own finances towards Mum's wellbeing already but again thanks to the changes coming in under the coalition if my help is reduced or stopped what will happen?

I dare only live from day to day...

15 March 2012 at 11:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home