My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

It's Not Getting Any Easier...

Walk don't run!

I keep saying that but the taxi has now been booked for our appointment on Friday.

The Social Worker was due to visit again today to see how we are getting on and see how the plan she started is going regarding having a carer call alternative days but we've had a phone call saying she is ill so its been put back to next Tuesday by which time we'll have been given a glimmer of hope or the worst case scenario.

I don't know why but if the carer is supposed to be coming alternative days and she started last Thursday that would mean...

Thursday, Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday and so on but for some reason her time sheet says and it seems it cannot be changed she will be here Wednesday and Thursday this week and then return on Saturday so that's two days together. I thought if she came on Friday Mum would be prepared(Dressed, washed, cleaned)to go to the hospital.

Mum is still able to dress herself.

So it will be down to me then...

The scariest part about Friday is that we appear to have already been told treatment is out but I keep reading of people having scans, x-rays and other tests, being told even if weak they have been given the chance of Chemo and/or surgery.

Mum had surgery and General anaesthetic for a hip operation two years ago and came through it so well and within two hours was asking for me. Mum has improved in the last two weeks gaining weight and an appetite again(maybe through the blood transfusion and my getting nourishment into her)So if she seemed weak a week ago, this must work in her favour?

I know everyone is different but I hear so much of how chemo shrinks tumours even if they are in the lungs or liver and kills them altogether or reduces them greatly.

Some people have a combination of chemo and radio therapy(and surgery too)

It seems we'll be offered treatment where they slow it down but it isn't cured so we are living with a time line hanging over us.

Or does ruling Chemo out altogether mean we're on a time scale and waiting for the inevitable. Years ago I heard of some men that have Prostate Cancer but the progress is so slow that old age kills the person before the disease does.

I keep reading from reliable sources that Bowel Cancer is a very slow growing type(hence why they keep saying its important to catch it early)but also the fact it slow can mean for many you could be lucky even if you are given treatment that makes you comfortable old age may get you first. Look at me trying to convince myself there are more positives than negatives.

Its a minefield.

I was told by a GP who saw us before Mum started her visits to hospital treatment would only be refused on whether she is weak. Not age or cost.

I think Mum is the kind of person who would rather go for it and it fail and her lose the fight quicker than live longer and know what's coming.

Its so difficult trying to decide what to ask, what to accept on Friday. Whether to question what we are offered.

I remember when I was diagnosed with kidney problems things were progressing nicely then one day the chairs were pulled together and the Consultant had some very bad news to impart. If it had not been for his trials of a combination of drugs that had helped another patient and he was giving me the option of following a similar route, I doubt I'd be writing this.

Perhaps there is a trial Mum could take part in?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Gildy ; "Ump" here .

Just to say that my thoughts are with you & your mum , as always .

"Ump."

11 October 2011 at 13:52  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks Ump,
That really means a lot. How things change so quickly.

Others have lost "loved One's" and they are as important.

Why should I be so different?

Its because you know its happening, we all want that peaceful passing but rarely get it.

11 October 2011 at 14:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gildy, your Mum sounds as if she is pretty frail, didn't you say her legs were pretty thin, and that she was rather confused ? Also she's partially incontinent ? Chemotherapy is a really drastic treatment, I'd guess it knocks people half your Mum's age for six. I've read some of the side effects, and it can make people who are otherwise young and fit feel terribly ill for days. Perhaps the doctors think your mother just couldn't cope with it.
Also reading your earlier posts, as your Mum got very old, did you think ahead as to how you were going to cope when she wasn't there any more ? It's a good idea to have a plan.
Have you lived in your town all your life ? If so, you must have got friends. Also have you any relatives living nearby ? It worries me that you seem to have got yourself so isolated.Try not to convey your worries to your Mum, as she'll feel she's got to keep alive at all costs because you won't be able to cope on your own (which I'm sure you will )

11 October 2011 at 18:28  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

The confusion has improved.Weight is up. Appetite is reasonably good too.

I am quite isolated I'll give you that. We have no family/relatives to speak of.

Friends? None live on the town and I have no idea where they moved to...when you leave school and people start to work and create their own families etc...it does tend to happen.

I'll survive if I can manage to have enough money to live what is a reasonable life, I don't demand too much and thankfully like my own company but I probably will miss not being able to share things with Mum just as I did with my Dad.

If I can listen to a radio and afford to keep the computers going, pay for the electric and telephone line/internet I'll get by.

I may give up tv altogether or if I can keep it going and want extra channels but not pay a subscription I'll consider Freesat.

12 October 2011 at 10:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home