My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, October 12, 2009

I Hope Mum May Get Home This Week...

Fingers crossed we may have Mum home this week but...this will now depend on what the staff say at the hospital and the Physio...

Now, I am not ageist(that's a dangerous thing to say)however this person who Mum has never seen in all the three/four weeks of her treatment/care has turned up and depending on what she reports back having looked around our home may affect how quickly Mum gets home...The Dr seems happy though...(The tv is still not working there's a surprise)

She does seem very young(maybe that's good because she'll be eager to do everything correctly)but like many who work with the public...there is a lot of flim flam...it's ok them saying what they think and how wonderful everything is when they are young and have no health problems themselves but the only good thing is that she said Mum is fit in every other way and she should be able to come rather than be in a home.

Unofficially we have been told we can apply for a stairlift...She says she wants Mum to have one so she has the choice of getting up and downstairs but also in case of a fire...Really? If we go down that route it could take 3+ months to get one installed...so if she cannot manage stairs or there was a fire in those three months what would she do?

I suspect we'll probably install one ourselves and hang the cost.

As I said we can turn her bedroom into a bedsit and as I am in the next bedroom I am around if she asks for help and I can keep popping in to see she is ok. Toilet and bathroom are on the same level. We already make tea and coffee and snacks upstairs...as a taxi driver suggests in the spare bedroom I could put a small fridge and/or microwave.

I don't like the plan for the bath...it sounds as though(and my auntie who has difficulty getting around)they want to put a board across the bath but that way you are never really in water and are cold all the time so I may look into one of those baths that you walk into and close a door and fill it up...the Physio doesn't like them because she says you are cold whilst the water is run but at least you will be in some water...or perhaps a shower may work instead? We'll arrange something...

We can get some armchairs and/or a higher more solid sofa than the one we have now...We can invest in a new mattress or a new bed that is higher to make getting in and out easier. We probably will not need to do much adapting.

Today I found out Mum did have a major operation but not perhaps as much as it could've been and that they only replaced the ball of the joint, not the socket. But this may mean her learning certain ways(and they haven't shown her how to do this)to avoid dislocating the hip again.

And for the first time tomorrow(and why it's been left so long I don't know)they are going to try her on some stairs at the hospital...so I hope that goes well.

Now our house is in need of some decorating and updating which we were going to do at a future date(its ok for us though)but this has speeded that work up...to be honest having spent 3-4 weeks only sleeping and dashing out to see Mum housework has been neglected.

I know she's only coming out to see what needs doing to get Mum home ASAP but I think I will be up most of the night cleaning and scrubbing the house(certainly the rooms she'll be interested in)and then if the vacuum cleaner will work I'll be hoovering in the morning when I can make noise.

I just hope I can get things pulled around by the time she visits at 1pm...wish I'd had a couple of days notice...I have approx 12 hours!

So I think tonight I am going to be very busy and not getting much sleep if at all...But there's always tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I managed to get some sleep after all...I took another look around and decided to get up at 7am and get stuck in, I hope the cleaning may be done by lunchtime(or sooner)but to start hoovering around 8.30am...

Next door are up by then for school and work so I won't have to worry about the noise.

I dislike officialdom and people calling even though I am friendly and courteous. But it has to be done...I hope that Mum shows she can manage steps/stairs this morning she will be so disappointed if that holds her back because as she says I can do the exercises at home(more so)and sit in a chair or lay in bed as much as she does at hospital but here she can listen to music and watch tv etc...and my food is better!

Must get on I guess just having my first cup of tea of the day...I'll have something to eat later...

13 October 2009 at 07:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home