My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

It Won't Be Easy But...

I do honestly feel quite positive of how things may turn out or maybe hopeful is a better term, what I write and say may come across as though I am very worked up...of course I dislike seeing Mum suffer(she really hasn't complained much at all and she's the one going through this)

The biggest problem I think is how to avoid falls in the future and possibly having to use more aids that will improve her mobility and support so that will probably mean adding handles/rails, possibly a walking stick/zimmer frame, using a higher chair so you don't sit too low which is not good for a hip replacement and improvements to make having a bath easier and the raising of toilet seats etc...and possibly a higher bed with the option of rails to avoid the rolling/falling out of bed possibly a stair lift...I suppose should all this be used in the home I'll end up using many of them too.

You would think lets not try to wear out or damage the replaced hip but they like you to exercise the joint and walk up steps/stairs and regularly do some exercises which seems contradictory

This all comes in the future, first she needs to get used to walking and using the joint again and hopefully pain will improve and mobility etc...

I avoided looking on the internet until tonight and I have learnt such a lot from the link below, I understand much better. In fact no one has explained it to me like this article. In simple terms Mum has snapped the ball joint at the top of the leg so it is sitting there doing nothing and is kind of trapped between the pelvis and the leg and the leg is detached.

So they'll go in and take out that piece of bone and put the new part into the top of the thigh bone thus replacing the missing piece again and pushing it back into the socket. Many bones do knit together or can be stregthened and helped by pins and metal plates but this area once it is seperated dies off.

Don't be surprised if I am missing for a few days...but any major news good or bad will be posted.

Hemiarthroplasty

3 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Gildy, I tried to post several times yesterday but to no avail. Good luck and best wishes...

24 September 2009 at 13:15  
Blogger Paul said...

Gildy, best wishes to you and your Mum.

Paul.

24 September 2009 at 16:04  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks David and Paul,

Your support is appreciated...

26 September 2009 at 22:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home