My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, October 05, 2009

Keep Your Fingers Crossed...

Mum may be home by the end of the week...

She did more exercises today and the Dr and staff were pleased with her performance. Her overall health is good. They tested her memory and the Dr was pleased with the results but later on having heard the questions asked I tested her again and she was getting questions right that perhaps she had not earlier and I did not prompt and as she was not given the answers earlier or told if she was correct, I think that her memory is even better...

Unlike the staff at the hospital where they have forced Mum to use sticks, the Dr said she can use a Zimmer Frame and Walking sticks and work between the two(mind they still have not given her the zimmer frame back as yet!)

It's suggested that the hip may've actually been fractured or damaged when she had the fall down the stairs in December last year but that suggests that the injury was missed back then. Or the injury began then.

The biggest thing they have been happy to hear is that we are installing a stair lift.

I also plan to install a new cooker, probably a washing maching machine, we will probably get a new bed or at least a new mattress(and move her bed nearer to one of the walls so only one side is accessable)If she has access to a Zimmer Frame that will give extra support should she get up.

She has slept better in hospital and not got up as much, so I hope we can continue that. They are also happy that I am at home so she has in effect a carer and is not alone. We may also invest in an extra armchair.

We can turn her bedroom into a bedsit and of course toilet and bathroom are upstairs on the same level as is my bedroom where I am often on here or relaxing when tired so I can hear her shout or blow a whistle for attention or I can keep a check on her anytime that I wish.

Mum may get out eventually but she says as long as she is in her own home she believes she'll improve and be able to exercise more but if she is housebound she doesn't mind that, she does not want to go into a home.

So things are much more positive than at first we may've thought some 2-3 weeks ago.

What were some of the questons asked in the memory test?

What year is it?

What Month?

What season?

What country do you live in?

Which county are you in?

Which hospital were you in before you came here?

Which hospital are you in now?

Which Ward?

Can you repeat these three objects?

Orange, Ball, Key...

They ask later on after a few questions if you can remember those three objects and ask you to say them again...

They ask you to write a sentence on a piece of paper...Mum wrote "I am Getting Better!"

Can you spell World backwards?

They ask you to draw(copy)a picture or pattern that they show you

They ask you to perform a task(Mum was asked to fold up a piece of paper and throw it to the ground)Another lady was asked to pick up a cup off the floor and place it on the end of a table.

There are a couple of questions about numbers...one was take 7 from 93.

That gives you an idea of the test.

I again took some food in just in case she did not like eat the food...and again it was a mixture, she ate most of her food but disliked tonights main meal...she was expecting a jacket potato but got Irish Stew. Most patients only ate some of that or refused it.

I heard one patient on a mobile phone say it was "The supper was unspeakable!" The soups and deserts are the best bit. Some meals are ok.

But I take in lovely sandwiches and really high quality soups in a flasks like Chicken and White Wine or Tomato and Basil etc...

Tea and coffee etc...

I now usually stay when Mum has her meal and I have something that I take in such as a salad and fruit salad. Followed by fruit juice.

Anyhow, I'll be back then again tomorrow...and perhaps we'll have more news...

5 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Interesting questions! I can thing of hundreds of times I couldn't manage as much detail!

6 October 2009 at 02:48  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I agree...the poor lady in the next bed was having lots of problems and difficulty understanding the questions but I sometimes think it can be because you are a little deaf and they don't catch what is being said.

I think that I did well to remember the questions I heard being asked in the test and from those Mum had told me earlier. I did not write any of them down, I promise.

6 October 2009 at 11:57  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I appear to have missed another little sad tale in my blog posts earlier on...I was talking to a lady whilst waiting for a taxi to get home last week, she lived in the same town and only a few streets a way...

Her husband had gone into hospital with a bad chest and they'd got that better but he had 7 falls whilst in the hospital and on the last fall...he had broken his hip. So he is now going through what Mum has...of course we don't know the circumstances.

6 October 2009 at 12:01  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Doesn't sound promising! 7 falls!

7 October 2009 at 01:56  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

He came over to the same hospital as Mum today and I discovered he has Alzeimer's so no it doesn't look good. :-(

7 October 2009 at 21:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home