My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Big Break...

I was awake until the early hours and believed that Mum had gone to bed and was sleeping soundly but I found as I walked into her bedroom yesterday around 8am she was laid on the floor.

She said she thought she had had a nightmare but I'll never know how long she was there or whether she rolled or fell out of bed or had somehow managed to stand and then collapse. And then go to sleep where she was.

She is in hospital and she has broken her hip. The fracture has gone through the base of the hip joint. If she does not say yes to an operation(and they are mainly successful for most people)and she can accept the physiotherapy needed they believe she will get home eventually and have some mobility but if she hopes that it will repair itself and says no which she initially was talking of doing, they think she will be bedridden(and that will mean pain and having to be cared in residential care)mainly because that would be a bit too much for me to manage as she'd have to lifted.

Also the area could die off through a lack of blood flow.

I have heard good reports from many where a hip replacement has given a new lease of life(It's still better not to need a hip replacement)but in her favour she is fit in just about every other way and still reasonably young.

No wonder she was hurting...

I am worried and concerned. She must be herself too. And who wants an operation?

If she comes home we can put railings(Can that be done?)around the bed perhaps or maybe we need to buy a new bed with that as an option to stop her getting up through the night, maybe have a zimmer frame for keeping her steady...possibly a stair lift for going up and downstairs...the important thing will be avoiding her having more falls and causing further damage...

We cannot think too far ahead. Just take each day at a time.

We can perhaps be more positive than at first thought but I have been emotional I have to admit. But cying is a safety valve. I was paid the best compliment of all in that she says I look after her as good or better than the care she has been getting in hospital but I state again, if it wasn't the worry of falls and injury she really cause little if any problems(and I don't see her in that way)

I am spending many hours at the hospital as there are only two hours to visit at 2.30pm and 7pm and it is simply not worth coming home to go through again and most of the time there is only me that can visit her. A little quick cafe has opened in reception and I can buy reasonably nice tea, coffee and hot chocolate upto 7pm. But they charge plenty for it.

Though later today Mum's brother is going through with me and we will both see her and we'll have a little meal in the hospital restaurant before seeing her and then when he leaves to come home I'll stay there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home